Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 20

With the sensation of being kissed still burning hot, Aldric lightly stroked his fingertips across his lips, remembering the feeling of Quinn's soft, warm flesh against his and the delicate fragrance of her exotic scent caressing his nostrils.

Wife. Quinn Fairchild, the girl he had met in the woods, was now his wife, and once again, he felt a sense of delight washing over him.

"I hope all is to your satisfaction, my lord?"

Aldric shifted his gaze to Lord Bedford, quite irritated that the man was interrupting his pleasant thoughts of his new bride.

Satisfaction? If he meant the wedding ceremony and the dowry, which was a small chest filled with two thousand pieces of gold coins, then he was indeed very satisfied. If he meant having Quinn as his bride, then he wasn't just satisfied. He was overjoyed.

As for the dowry, truth be told he hadn't expected any, considering how very reluctant the man had been where the wedding was concerned, more so since the bride was his bastard daughter.

Oh, Aldric knew very well there was no love nor care toward Quinn where Lord Bedford was concerned. If anything, the man merely viewed her as a thing that could be of use to him, which enraged Aldric.

This man, he thought, had no care for anyone except for himself and possibly his children bred from his legal wife.

Speaking of children, he flicked his gaze to Lady Calla and Lady Iris, not missing them eyeing him with undeniable interest. The same interest those women in the capital had shown him when they knew not his name and infamous title.

They were beautiful, these two girls, but as Vincent had mentioned, their beauty was only skin deep. He could tell these spoiled brats were shallow human beings, and he wouldn't be surprised if they had enjoyed themselves tormenting Quinn and others below them.

"Why must you return to Norsewood so soon, my lord?" Calla asked, fluttering her long blond lashes at him. "Surely, residing here in Bedford until winter is over would be a more suitable idea?"

Iris nodded furiously. "We heard winter is horrible in Norsewood. Wouldn't it be better you enjoy your time here in Bedford where winter is much milder?"

"And spring is especially charming here," Calla added. "Summer is even more beautiful when it's not so hot. Also, it is close to the capital, so if you need to return there when court calls, you can do so within a mere month of traveling by carriage."

Iris nodded. "Indeed, my lord. Traveling from Norsewood to the capital will require double that time. Not to mention one would have to cross the Northern Alps, which is very dangerous."

"Calla, Iris," Lady Bedford's firm voice came their way. "Please do not be a nuisance to his lordship." To Aldric, she said, "I apologize, my lord. We rarely have guests. They are simply excited."

Vincent raised a brow. "Really now? The other knights and the priest are guests. So, Lady Calla and Lady Iris have already invited them to stay during the winters? If so, it'd be very lively."

Calla said, "No, the knights and priest are different, sir. But you, sir, and Lord Norsewood, the fact that we are related now after the marriage..."

"Ah, I see," Vincent said. "You are related to Lord Norsewood now that your little sister has married him."

"Uh, yes," Calla said. "Indeed, that is precisely correct, sir."

"Aldric."

The familiar voice softly calling his name made his blood sing, and Aldric turned to see Quinn at the door. He stood as she came toward him. He didn't miss the lovely smile on her face.