Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 78

Quinn

As everyone started moving back, I summoned my magic, and in my mind, I said, "Okey dokey, Vicky, you know what I want."

Indeed, my lady. I'm rather excited myself.

The circle glowed and the signs, symbols, and scripts turned, and materializing was a shiny vehicle with four wheels. It was an SUV, super large with eight seats. Suddenly, a chorus of shrill excitement rang out from the children.

"A car! It's a car!" Jonah said, pointing at the vehicle.

"A car! It's a real car like in the movies," Leo said, jumping up and down as if he had received the best birthday present ever.

"Is it indeed a car," Robert said. "Like in the movies."

"How interesting," Derek said, looking about the fancy vehicle.

Leaning against the side, I said, grinning, "All right. Anyone want a ride?"

"Me!" Jonah put up his hand. "I want to have a ride."

"Me, too," Leo said, putting up his hand eagerly.

"Me, three," Max said.

"Me, four," Josh said. "Please, me four. Please."

"If it's not too much of a hassle," Grandma Liz said. "I'd like to ride in this car thing, too, my lady."

I said, "Will you be all right, Grandma Liz? You won't get motion sickness?"

She waved my concern aside. "I'm fine with a carriage. I'm sure I'll be fine in this car thing."

"All right, hop in," I said as I opened the back door.

"Where should I sit?" Jonah asked.

"Kids go to the back." I leaned in and said, "The back is always the bumpiest."

"Really?" Jonah said. "Then I'm there." Red on his shoulder, he hopped in and made his way to the back, with Leo and Max following him, filling the three back seats. Josh got in next, followed by Grandma Liz, and then Hayden, filling the middle section. Closing the door, I turned to Grayson and said, "Hop in."

"Me, my lady?" Grayson said.

"Of course," I said. "You're the expert driver and will be on a mission soon, so it's best to get a feel for it." I opened the front passenger door, and he hesitantly got in.

On the other side, I got into the driver's seat and then put on my seat belt. Meanwhile, everyone inside was too busy marveling at the interior and poking their heads out since the windows were down. I cleared my throat and said, "Boys and girl, please put on your seat belts."

"Yes, seat belt," Jonah said. "It's unsafe to be riding in a car without wearing a seat belt."

A series of clicks could be heard as seat belts were put on, with Hayden helping Grandma Liz, since she didn't quite know how to put one on. Once they were done, I said, "Let's go driving." I pushed on the start button, turning on the engine, and the moment it did, everyone couldn't hold down their excitement. "Here we go!" I put the gear in drive and then pressed my foot on the accelerator, and the car moved forward.

I went slow at first, curving around the track, and then I pressed down on the accelerator even more, surging the car forward faster, and the boys at the back started screaming in thrill while Grandma Liz said, "Oh Lord, it's so fast."

I sped the car around the field, turning here and there, exhilaration filling me with a sense of fun. It had been ages since I had been driving, feeling the wind in my hair like this with the windows down. Indeed, this was pure joy.