Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 40

There was a hype of activities come morning as everyone was filed into the carriages, clutching what little belongings they had in their arms. Derek hadn't realized more than one coach had arrived last night, not until he came out early this morning to see there were five more, each one in front of a cottage across their small community of Carnfell, his in-law's included, and he understood why Captain Connor had made that comment about how he was glad they had brought along all the carriages.

The stranded civilians, all fifty-eight of them, who had taken refuge in his as well as the neighbors' homes, had already been instructed to climb into the other carriages along with the neighbors while his in-laws, Natalie's parents, Rory and Gemma Eton, and two younger brothers, Hayden and Hunter, were instructed to join the one he and his family and a few others was currently climbing on. Including Captain Connor, they packed themselves inside the luxurious vehicle, the likes of which neither Derek nor his family and in-laws had ever seen or even sat in before.

While they all sat on the soft seating on either side with little children on the parents' or grandparents' laps, as little Cora was on Natalie's and young Steven was on Derek's, Grant, who was severely injured and sickly, was in a sleeping bag lying on the floor, a stretcher bed under him.

Anticipation was high as everyone waited while the soldiers did their last routine check, to ensure no one was left behind, and then they were ready to go as Captain Connor gave the order. As the carriages started moving, everyone turned to gaze out the glass windows, bidding farewell to their homes for a short time until they returned in the spring.

Captain Connor, sitting at the head, said, "Everyone hungry?"

Steven put up his hand and said, "Yes, sir. Can we have that creamy chicken thing with rice again?"

A series of chuckles rang out, and Connor said, "Unfortunately, eating something like that on a moving carriage is disastrous. The food will spill everywhere, don't you agree, lad?"

The boy scrunched up his face in disappointment. "I suppose so."

"But, of course," Connor said, "Lady Norsewood has prepared something better for breakfast." He opened the box in front of him and then took out a tray that was stacked with what looked like round white buns. The aroma filled the carriage, and all pairs of eyes were on the unexpected breakfast.

"What are those, sir?" Hayden asked.

"These are steamed buns," Connor said. Or more specifically, Chinese steamed buns. "It has minced meat and vegetable fillings inside. Mind helping me hand these out, lad?"

The young man nodded. "Of course."

"I'll help, too," Hunter, Hayden's twin brother, said.

The distribution of steamed buns commenced, and Steven, once he has gotten his, couldn't contain himself since the smell was so enticing, and took a big bite. He chewed as he widened his eyes and then after swallowing, he eagerly took another big bite. "It's so soft and delicious," he said. Turning to Connor, who was taking out a bottle of a protein shake meant for Grant, the boy asked, "Can I have another one?"

Connor chuckled. "Of course." To the others, he said, "Anyone else want a second?" Everyone raised their hands.

While everyone was eating and Grandma Liz fed Grant the protein shake which he sucked through a straw—a very nifty drinking device in the mind of all the Norsewood people—the adults made small talk.

Derek asked Connor, "It'd take at least a day and half to get to Norsewood town in these road conditions. Where will we be making camp for the night?"

Connor shook his head. He said, "Nay, there will be no camping for the night, although we'll make a pit stop for the horses to rest at the halfway point. Traveling to Norsewood town shouldn't take any longer than six hours."