Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 21

After dinner, Maria had packed up and Quinn put everything away into her storage satchel. Theo said, "Shall I take the first watch?"

Aldric nodded.

Vincent said, "Then I'll take the second."

And he'd take the third at the early hours of the morning.

Quinn said, "So how do we arrange sleep? Is there a tent?"

Vincent chuckled. "There's no tent, my lady pipsqueak. We usually sleep out here in the open."

"At least with a blanket?" she asked. "And no pipsqueak after my lady."

Maria said, "Sir Vincent likes to tease Quinn, don't you?"

"Would you like me to shift my attention to you, my dear Maria?" he asked.

Maria flushed crimson and furiously shook her head.

Liam said, "Perhaps if the women sleep in the carriage, it's much safer and warmer."

"The carriage looks too small for that," Theo said.

"Actually, I have a better idea," Quinn said. "I'll make us a tent." She tilted her head to one side. "Or rather tents. We'll need two, one for each gender group."

Tents? Did she mean those simple makeshift small ones constructed with white fabrics and string tied to trees?

She turned to him and asked, "Aldric, can you show me the best place to put up tents?"

He scanned around and nodded in the direction where Vincent was sitting, indicating the field behind the man. "It has a nice clearing and on slightly higher ground." Which meant they didn't have to worry if the river rose during the night. Not to mention the ground was softer so it wouldn't be too hard on their backs. More specifically the women's backs. He himself certainly didn't mind sleeping on hard ground. He had slept in worse places, after all.

Quinn got up and walked about the spot, examining the site. Aldric, of course, found he couldn't take his eyes off her.

"Hmm..." She tilted her head to one side, as if she was in deep thought. Then she straightened up and retrieved something from her satchel. She placed those on the ground, separately and a good distance apart, and then she pressed her palm on the top of one. He saw a magic circle, glowing and moving, and immediately, that package-like thing unfolded itself and formed a tent, the likes of which Aldric had never seen before. This one was large, almost the size of a military tent the kingdom used, but the shape was different. There was no door or an opening either. At least he couldn't see one.

He got up, along with everyone else, to inspect the tent while Quinn started constructing the other one.

Aldric touched the fabric, noting that it was smooth yet sturdy, and he suspected that it was waterproof, too.

"Where's the door, Quinn?" Maria asked.

"Hold on," Quinn said, toddling over. "It's here." She grabbed a small metal handle and then pulled it upward, opening the tent. "You just unzip it. To close it again, just zip it up." She pulled it downward, thus closing the tent.

Aldric was amazed. He had never seen such a thing before. A tent that could be opened and then closed completely like an actual door.

"Aldric, can you please help me with nailing it down?"

He moved toward his bride and saw that she was hooking a long metal stake onto the small string of the tent.

"It's so it doesn't go flying away," she said.