Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 58

The weather was, surprisingly, sunny and the sky clear, Aldric noticed as he strode along the colonnade walkway toward the military building. Indeed, it was a good day to send out the drones and start mapping Norsewood, as they had planned.

He took the elevator up to the roof of the watchtower, where he met with Uncle Colt, Mark, Allan, Jacob, Chris, Theo, Connor, and Vincent, along with the soldiers working in the security department.

Aldric eyed the strongboxes, neatly packed with magical drones, and he couldn't wait to see what Norsewood would look like from above. Just as he thought that, Uncle Colt said, "I never imagined there would come a day when we'd get to see our land from the sky above. It's a miracle."

"It is indeed," Allan said. "Even those powerful lords and ministers working in the kingdom's court have never even thought to come up with such an advanced technique to map out Athol."

Jacob said, "The idea is but so simple and easy to implement."

Vincent chuckled and said, "There's no doubt Lady Quinn is a unique thinker. Even though those working in the kingdom's court know of telepathy, they didn't even think to come up with long-distance communication and share it as Lady Quinn has, let alone craft something such as drones and use them to illustrate a map of the nation."

"Indeed," Mark said.

Uncle Colt said, "Let us deploy the drones before the weather turns sour." Which it often did in winter here in Norsewood.

The soldiers picked up the eight drones, and after activating the magic circles by pressing on the buttons at the base of the bird-shaped gadgets, thus turning on flight mode and the cameras, they released them using the controllers, as they had learned through Vicky's tutorial.

The drones hovered in the air and then started flying off, slowly, in the eight directions: north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west, and northwest.

Aldric went to stand close to Uncle Colt who had a tablet in his hands. He noticed the dark grit of the background, and in the middle, the images of the watchtower.

"Remarkable!" Uncle Colt said. "Simply remarkable."

The image expanded as the drones moved farther away, and it wasn't long before the structure of Norsewood Lodge was complete. The men stared at the screen in awe, having never realized just how intricate and detailed the buildings were, as well as the map itself. One could zoom in, as Vicky had stated, and minute details would be shown.

Chris said, "Shall we head into the security room to see this on a bigger screen?"

The men nodded in agreement, and leaving the soldiers to pilot the drones, they took the elevator down.

The security headquarters was a spacious hall with two large viewing screens spanning the walls and smaller ones sitting across work desks. Despite this not being the first time Aldric set his foot in here, he still marveled at the sophistication of the technology. He couldn't believe protecting Norsewood Lodge could be done by four soldiers per shift sitting there and keeping their eyes on the screens. There was no need to have numerous soldiers, around twenty of them per shift, patrolling the perimeter of the buildings as they had done previously with Norsewood Manor. If there was a threat, an alert to the military department would be sent out and the soldiers would then proceed with the emergency protocol to eliminate that threat.

The moment the four soldiers on duty noticed him, they stood and saluted. "My lord."

"At ease," Aldric said, and they returned to their duties.

"Put the map on the large screen," Uncle Colt instructed.

"Aye, sir," Samuel, one of the soldiers, said, navigating the magic screen, and instantly, an image of the map, what the drones had recorded of Norsewood thus far, appeared on the screen.