Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 74

When Juan woke, it was to the soft yet urgent sound of, "Lord Juan, wake up. Lord Aldric is near."

Juan fluttered his eyes open as he groaned. "Huh? Aldric is near?"

Liam nodded and then stood. "He shouldn't be far." Then he headed out of the tent.

It took Juan a few minutes to clear his head from the drowsiness, and once he was alert and ready for whatever came, he got out of the sleeping bag as Red, too, popped out and hopped onto his shoulder. The pair exited the tent, and Juan saw Liam standing at the clearing, surrounded by a thick blanket of snow. He went to stand next to his savior, and clearing his throat, he began the conversation.

"So, I never got your name, but it's Liam, isn't it? I heard you say something like Liam reporting in when you were talking to my brothers via that ear device."

Liam turned to look at him and then nodded. "Liam Fairchild."

"Liam Fairchild," Juan said. "It's a very nice name. So you're new at the manor?" He chuckled. "I'm surprised you're coming into Norsewood. There are only people leaving. There's nothing here except..." He trailed off, thinking of the disasters and devastations that plagued his homeland in the recent years.

"I joined Norsewood when my cousin married your brother," Liam said.

"Cousin? Married my brother?" Juan asked, and then he realized what that meant. "You're my new sister-in-law's cousin?"

Liam nodded. "Yes."

"I see," he said. "The bride from Bedford. So you're related to Lord Bedford?" He wanted to add the filthy rich bastard who cared naught for anyone but himself, but he kept his mouth shut since he didn't want to offend Liam, who seemed anything but selfish like the Bedfords.

Liam shook his head. "We're not related. Quinn, my cousin, is his bastard child. He cares naught for her or Aunty Beth whom he treated like..." He sighed. "He's no longer in our lives, and we're blessed for that." He changed the subject and pointed. "Look, they're here."

Juan turned, and in the distance, he saw three men on horseback heading their way. He recognized the newcomers immediately and burst out laughing as he jogged toward them. Within minutes, Aldric, Theo, and Vincent were in front of him, and Aldric got down from his steed. The brothers embraced, roughly as was their greeting, and Aldric patted Juan on the shoulder. "I'm glad you're safe and well."

"Aldric," Juan said. "I'm so glad you've returned home."

"Me, too," Aldric said. "Now, let's get moving. We need to deal with the night trolls and then return to the lodge and start planning that rescue mission." He ran his gaze over Juan from head to toe, noting the torn and worn clothing. "You need to change."

Ten minutes later, Juan came out of the tent wearing Aldric's spare clothing—very warm undergarment underneath and trousers and a sweater as well as a thick jacket that he had never seen or worn before on top. On his feet were thick socks and a pair of outdoor boots that were light yet sturdy. It was also waterproof, which amazed Juan, and he wondered what sort of material was used. It was undoubtedly very expensive and must be brought from the capital. Yet, he had never seen this sort even in the capital.

"Brought you a horse," Vincent said, handing him a bridle.

"Thanks," Juan said, relieved he needn't ride with anyone else, although he didn't mind if it was with Liam, oddly enough.

Liam, after packing, hopped onto his stallion, and within moments, they headed out. Riding next to his brother, Juan asked, "Where are we going?"

"To where the night trolls are," Aldric said.