Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 79

Quinn

Planning the mission took the rest of the afternoon, including me insisting I be part of the rescue team. As Juan mentioned, there were a lot of severely sick and injured civilians, and for them to walk through the long, winding to-be-made tunnel was simply a difficult ask. Aldric, the stubborn goat, had refused to even consider me leaving Norsewood at first but reluctantly submitted when I said, "I wouldn't be insisting that I go if I wasn't sure you'll keep me, all of us, safe. Your strength and power are immense, Aldric, so please, don't keep me here when you know I can save a lot of people."

Uncle Colt said, "The lassie is right, Aldric. Some of the soldiers can heal, but not like our lassie can heal with her magic. I'll be coming along, too, and will protect her in your stead when you aren't around. You have naught to worry."

"You're coming, too?" I asked, surprised.

He chuckled. "It has been a long time since I've been out doing mission work, but now it's time again."

Mark snorted. "You just want to go because you want to ride on the airship, Uncle."

Laughter ensued, and Aldric said, "Promise me you won't do anything reckless."

I grinned and said, "I promise I won't."

The next day was preparation day, and I was on my feet from dawn until dust, first conjuring two buses for Grayson and one of his staff members, Carl, to practice their driving, then auto-carts and creating essential items and supplies which the soldiers stored in the aircraft. A temporary quarantine facility had to be constructed, via my magic naturally, with sleeping quarters, a dining hall, and men and women bathrooms since the civilians needed to be isolated due to health and dietary requirements before being introduced into the lodge.

While Grayson and Carl continued to get used to driving the buses and some of the soldiers practiced operating the carts, Robert, David, Kent, and Derek plus the men from the woodwork and agriculture departments trained on constructing roads, which Grayson and Carl as well as the soldiers used to drive on. By evening, they were confident in their ability, to my pleasant surprise, and the buses and carts were already carrying happy passengers—the lodge residents, mostly the children and elderly—about the place like tourist vehicles.

After examining the blueprint I had given them, Darell and his men from the blacksmith department, on the other hand, had taken the SUV, much to the children's and Grandma Liz's displeasure. Their plan was to redesign the model to something that was suitable for Norsewood's people, which I gladly left in their hands simply because they'd come up with something that the citizens would love since that was their forte.

Finally, it was departure day, and at dawn, most of the residents came to see us off, and as the airship lifted, there was a lot of shouting and hands waving.

Come back safely! Bring the people home safely! See you soon! May the deities watch over you all!

Inside the airship, I noted that everyone looked rather tense. Then again, this was our very first large-scale rescue mission, so it was to be expected.

"Everything will be all right, right, Quinn?" Maria asked.

I turned to her and said, "Everything will be fine."

Gosh, I couldn't believe she had begged to come along, as well as Elizabeth. All the Fairchilds were here, including Liam. That meant there were seven healers, the other three soldiers, and we'd be the ones to heal those with serious injuries first before the rescue team led them out.

I glanced over to the other side of the room, noting that Aldric was in a serious discussion with the captains—Uncle Colt, Theo, Connor, Vincent, and Juan—no doubt going through the plan again and revising anything that needed changing. He was very thorough in that regard.