Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 83

"How many guards do they need to run this place?" Vincent said, clearly exasperated at the sight of more appearing from the distance. "I swear it feels like the magic training room with the dummies reviving after each kill."

"It is like that, isn't it," Theo said as he swung his sword, killing a guard mindlessly charging at him. "I'm glad, however, we had practice with the reviving dummies."

Vincent said, "Let's just say under the current circumstances, I'm not overwhelmed, thanks to the training." He released his arrow, and it went flying and landed on a bridge, causing an explosion and collapsing it, killing a bunch of guards, bodies falling to the ground.

Juan shouted, "Most of these guards I've never seen before."

Aldric said, "The dungeon is probably deeper than we initially thought." He touched his earpiece. "Connor, the layout?"

From the other side of the line, Connor said, "Six floors above and six below. You're right, the dungeon is deeper than we thought."

A soldier's voice came through, urgent and ringing with concern. "Uh, my lord? We have a problem."

"What's that?" Aldric said.

"My drones are below ground, and you're not going to believe this. There are monsters. They're charging up and—"

Aldric felt the ground beneath him shake, and he knew what that meant for he had experienced it before. A stampede of monsters.

"Brace yourself!" he shouted at his men.

Piling out from cave openings were orcs, trolls, goblins, dire wolves, and basilisks—weapons in hand, mindlessly roaring and charging, demanding blood.

"Holy deity!" Theo said.

Vincent stared, stupefied. "They housed monsters?"

"Just as I feared," Aldric said. "It's more than met the eye." He summoned his magic as he shouted orders. "Kill all of them. Not one is allowed to escape this place."

"Roger!" the men echoed in answer as they, too, summoned their magic.

Aldric flicked his gaze to Malcolm up on the bridge, hot anger seething in his blood. He touched his earpiece and said, "Connor, I want to know who that bastard on the bridge is."

"Roger that," Connor said from the other side.

The horde of monsters stampeded toward them as the guards fell back, and Aldric released his lightning whip, the marks on his shoulders and arms glowing with magic. The lash went rippling in the air, with sparks zapping out in every direction, killing monsters—many of them—the lightning touched in the process.

Vincent unleashed more of his electrical arrows, causing an explosion, killing more while Theo blasted out his flame, burning alive those close by, and cries of agony before death reverberated throughout the place.

Juan said as he swung his sword, "Damn! I wish I could use magic, but having only activated my mana yesterday, it's impossible."

"I got your back," Liam said as his circle shot out fireballs and then fire blasts, covering Juan as the man fought the monsters with his sword and fist.

When he had slayed the last of the ones surrounding him, Juan turned to Liam and said, "Didn't I say we'd work well together."

Liam sent a fireball past Juan's ear, burning a troll that had a wooden club over Juan's head as he said, "You did." He spotted an orc and shouted, "Ten o'clock!"

Juan, confused, asked, "What's a ten o'clock?"

Liam realized Juan hadn't learned how to read the time or the hands of the clock yet, and said, "Behind you to your right."