Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 25

Quinn

"I'm sorry you're greeted with such devastation, my lady," Eden said as we descended the stairs.

"Just call me Quinn," I said.

Behind me, Sara asked, "Will you be returning to Bedford?"

I glanced at her, wondering why she'd ask me that.

"Why would I be?"

She looked confused. "But why wouldn't you be? There's nothing here but destruction. As a lady, this must be horrible for you to see."

"You're a lady, too," I said. "But you managed."

"We're different," Eden said. "We've seen, been through so much that it's normal. Us Norsewood people are different. We're used to the roughness and challenge that life gives us, unlike the ladies of the capital. They, you are not used to this sort of thing."

She was implying that ladies of the capital were soft, I supposed, just as Calla and Iris were soft and sheltered and spoiled and wouldn't be able to handle living this rough.

I said, "I'm not returning to Bedford. As Aldric's wife, this is my home now."

Eden said, "There isn't even a room for you, my lady. The master chamber has already been destroyed."

"Quinn," I said again. "Please call me Quinn, and I don't need a master chamber." I shrugged my shoulders. "I'll make myself a master suite."

"Make yourself a master suite?" Sara asked, looking perplexed. "What's a master suite?"

"It's like a master chamber but with better amenities. Can you tell me how many refugees there are here?" I asked as we came to the landing of the first floor.

"Refugees?" Eden asked.

"I mean people," I said. "How many people are there here?"

"Around five hundred if you include us," Frances said. "And many more still out there across Norsewood, starving."

"Five hundred, eh?" I said and then turned around to face the three women. "All right, since it's getting dark, I think preparing dinner and arranging sleeping quarters is in order."

Frances said, "We have the kitchen staff preparing bread and soup for everyone."

I suspected it must be hard rye bread and bland soup.

"Then please go and tell them to stop," I said.

"Why?" Sara asked, again, looking perplexed.

"Because I'm going to make everyone dinner," I said and turned on my heel. As I walked, I continued. "Where's the best place to set up a table?"

"Table? What for?" Eden asked.

"To serve everyone food," I said.

"That'd be in the great hall," Frances said.

"Good, we'll do it there, then."

In the great hall, I spotted Elizabeth already tending to some of the mothers with newborns while Maria aided the elderlies. When they saw me, they came rushing over.

"Quinn," Maria said. "Are we going to do something?"

I nodded. Turning to Elizabeth, I said, "Mother, can you please gather all the parents and their newborns and any parents with toddlers that need breastfeeding. Let me see." I scanned around the place. "Ah, ask them to gather over there close to that fireplace." It was away from the shattered windows, so I thought it wouldn't be too drafty.