Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 68

Quinn

I summoned my magic and flicked a screen over to the wall where Vicky, in a cute ancient Chinese costume, appeared. She bowed and said, "Thank you for the meal." Then she began to eat using the chopsticks, but I knew she couldn't taste anything. At least not yet anyway.

Some of the younger ones saw and started picking up theirs, too, along with Jonah. It was difficult without practice, and they ended up using knives and forks instead, but not so Jonah, and I was pleased that he was such an expert now, along, surprisingly, with Aldric, who was using the chopsticks like a pro as he picked up the stir-fry noodles and started eating. When did he even have the time to practice when he had been so damn busy with work and training and running the military, too?

The chatter and laughter were loud, echoing across the hall, and everyone merrily went about eating. There were a lot of oohs and aahs and mmms as everyone tried each dish. As expected, the top favorites were pork belly, crispy chicken, roast duck, sweet and sour pork, deep-fried wonton, and fried rice. Most of the men were already up and requesting beer or ale or a glass of wine at the liquor stations. Picking up my chopsticks, I began eating, too, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Roaming around here and there were Hayden and Hunter, with cameras in hands, snapping photos of the merriment, and of course, the people and the food.

Perhaps it was just human nature in any world, because the moment there were cameras, the young ones would flash their pearly white teeth and their eyes would sparkle as they posed or acted silly and stuck their tongues out despite not even knowing what a camera was and how it worked. When the twins showed them the photos or videos of them on the tablets, there were shrieks of delight and astonishment, which caused quite a stir, and it quickly spread like wildfire throughout the dining hall.

The girls, like Rosie, Emma, and Vanessa, shyly requested the twins to take photos of them upon hearing that they could have hard copies of the photos, which they wanted to have as a keepsake. And soon, there was a hype of demand almost by everyone since they looked so fine in their eveningwear and wanted to remember the celebration. Hence, the twins ended up as a pair of photographers for the night.

Apparently, the favorite spots to take a snapshot were the curved stairs, the foyer at the entrance of the lodge, and the main featured wall on the second floor of the dining hall, because they were so damn grand, after all.

I had to shake my head in amusement because this reminded me so much of a wedding of a Chinese-American couple my parents and I had been invited to when I had been a tween. I remembered the hustle and bustle and the jollity, the food, which was obviously Chinese with all the assorted dishes I had conjured tonight, and families and friends taking photos here and there. This also reminded me of prom night, too, especially the photo taking part.

Grandma Liz and Grandpa Joel weren't missing out, and they dragged their sons, Derek and Grant, as well as daughter-in-law Natalie and grandchildren Steven and Cora to take a picture, too. While Hunter was directing them to move in closer to each other, Hayden was busy with Rosie and Grandpa Keith and Grandma Ada, the latter two grinning brightly at the camera, flashing their pearly dentures Vicky had created for them.

The evening flew by, and once bellies were filled, so much so that some couldn't even get up or move about and simply sat there looking stuffed and just a little sick due to too much food, some men brought out musical instruments and started playing. A space was cleared and dancing ensued, with people clapping along. I saw Rosie was one of the girls, locking arms with Emma and Vanessa as they hopped and danced. Then Mark and Frances got up to join the group, and soon, the rest of the Templetons and the children, too. I clapped and bobbed my head along with the music, which was very clearly the Norsewood folk dance of sort.

The night was surely fun and entertaining. At ten, the mothers ushered reluctant children up to bed, Jonah, Abi, and Alex included by their nursemaids Martha and Jenny. Abi begged to kiss me good night, and I obliged, lending my cheek to her. Alex followed suit, and then the two toddled off with Jonah, the nursemaids following behind.

As my gaze followed them to the elevator, I happened to see Vincent with Maria. They seemed intimate, and I wondered if they'd officially start dating soon. I flicked my gaze to the other side and noted that Elizabeth was with Theo. I chuckled in amusement, wondering if there'd be wedding bells in the near future. If those two got married, didn't that just mean I had a new father in Theo? Holy smokes!

"What are you smiling about?" a deep voice said as a pair of powerful arms wrapped around me.

It felt nice to have Aldric hugging me like this from behind, and my smile broadened. I said, "It's a secret."

He kissed me on my temple, and then we continued watching the gaiety that went on until well past eleven. By then I was drained from the loud noise and crowd, and to Aldric, I said, "I'm going to retire for the night." Turning around, I kissed him on the cheek, and after giving him a look that reminded him of our promise, I left the hall.

It was quiet in the penthouse, and I knew the children were already fast asleep and the nursemaids were in their rooms. Taking my stilettos off, since my feet was damn sore and I didn't want to make too much noise with the heels clopping on the marble floor, I made my way toward the master suite. After dropping the shoes in the walk-in closet, I headed into the bathroom. There, feeling just a little bit nervous yet excited, I summoned my magic and conjured a sexy lingerie as well as a pair of lace and silk panties and bra. Wanting to see how it looked on me, I hastily removed my gown and underwear and put it on.

Looking at myself through the full-length mirror a moment later, I widened my eyes. Wow! Just wow! The sensual garment fit me perfectly, naturally since it was magically made just for me, showing a lot of enticing skin.

I paused, chewing on my lower lip, wondering if this was too spicy for men in this world to lay their eyes on. Would it be too much? Should I just go with something more... conservative?

I tilted my head to one side and then thought, nope. This would do just fine. I was sure it'd pique Aldric's interest, as well as his, uh, little beast down there, which was indeed what I wanted.

Flinging on a silk robe to cover myself for now until my husband turned up, I headed back into the bedroom and flopped myself on the luxurious bed. Switching on the large screen television on the wall, I proceeded to watch a movie that was currently on this late at night. Half an hour later, I was beginning to wonder where Aldric was when I heard Vicky's voice.

My lady, there's an alert on my radar that needs your attention.

I perked up and asked, "What is it?"

There's an abnormal movement at the border of Norsewood to the southeast.

I frowned. "An unusual movement? Have you informed Aldric?"

My lord is currently in the security control room studying the abnormality.

So that was why he wasn't here. I hastily got off the bed and rushed into the bathroom as I said, "I'll be there in a minute."

I had on a pair of sweatpants and sweater within seconds, and after putting on socks and sneakers, I was out the door.