Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 15

Quinn

Despite the journey being too damn short for my liking, since I liked being in Aldric's mighty arms during the ride, I didn't mind that it ended because my backside was so sore from the saddle. I supposed now that I was living in this world, I should start learning to ride a horse myself and get used to the hard saddle.

Aldric dropped me off after we entered the town, and I said, "Thank you, sir, for the ride."

Vincent said, "I'm curious, are you Bedford born and bred, Quinn?"

How to answer that? It was half and half, I supposed. But since I was Quinn Chen, I said, "I'm not, sir. I've only been here around three weeks."

"Ho? Are you also a guest here then?" Mr. Wakefield asked.

I chuckled. "Something like that. I'm staying with my relatives." So to speak.

"Relatives. I see," Aldric said.

Because I was eager to know, I asked, "From your behavior and how you look, I take it you're not a Bedford born and bred, and that means you're also guests here? Will you be staying in Bedford long, sirs? Will we, uh, meet again, do you think?" I was egging for another engagement since parting again so soon just felt... incomplete.

Aldric said, "Unfortunately, we won't be staying long. We have business here and will be gone within a day or two."

Disappointment filled me and I said, "Well, of course. I see." My shoulders slumped, I turned on my heel. "Very well then. Good luck with your business, sirs." With that, I hastily left.

As I paced homeward, I reprimanded myself. Gosh, what was I even thinking, wanting to see Aldric again? He had a son and wife to go back to, and I was in no position to...

I sighed and looked heavenward. To what? Flirt? Steal a kiss or two maybe? Have a fling? With a married man? Hell, no! I was not a homewrecker, that was for sure. Besides, I myself was about to get married... to Lord Norsewood, who no doubt must be a middle-aged man with gray hair and rotten teeth, just like bastard Bedford. Then again, since he was rumored to have slain many enemies and monsters, he must be very strong.

Strong, eh? Suddenly, I remembered Aldric and the way he moved, with grace and sexual appeal, and I groaned.

Stop! You must stop, Quinn! I snapped at myself.

Okay, let's go home and practice more magic. Yes, let's do that and forget about Aldric and what it'd feel like kissing him and...

I groaned again.

I arrived at the cottage a bit later, and Maria greeted me with a tight hug as she said, "That filled roll thing was so delicious, Quinn. I just couldn't stop thinking about it. The softness of the bun, the creaminess of that thing you called avocado, the crispiness of the chicken, the slight spiciness and tanginess of that sauce, they were to die for. And the chocolate cake, too. It was so out of this world and to die for. Please make more for lunch tomorrow."

I chuckled and peeled her away from me. "I will, but not tomorrow. I think we should try different things and then rotate around." I was never a fan of eating the same food twice in a row. Besides, I had always done that as a poor student and on a tight budget after my parents' death, but now that I could create whatever ingredients I wanted, there was no stopping me from trying out different things I had always wanted to.

"Oh, yes, that sounds good," Maria said.

I asked, "How's the packing going?"

"We don't have much to pack, so technically speaking, I'm almost done," she said.