Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 62

Quinn

A few moments later, we were out of the health clinic and up to the rooftop terrace on the common building. Here, as we headed toward one of the outdoor dining tables, I saw Jonah, Leo, Max, and Josh, the foursome who had always hung out together and ran amok in the lodge.

Apparently, it was already decided who was the leader among them, which was naturally Jonah. Between them, they had also decided who'd take what job when they grew up to protect Norsewood. Jonah would follow in his father's footsteps and become the ultimate warrior and lord of the land whereas Leo, like his father, Mark, would be second in charge. As for Max and Josh, Max would be the admin man while Josh would be the captain of soldiers, much like his father, Connor Carter.

I felt their gazes on me, and the moment I was close, they jumped off their seats. I wondered why they weren't running around and playing sword fighting like they usually did at this hour of the day after their classes. Then again, their disheveled appearance told me that they were already exhausted from running amok.

"Hello, boys," I said. "Already tired from playing your sword fighting?"

They looked at each other, appearing to be rather... nervous?

Jonah cleared his throat and then said, "Uh, yes, we're... tired and, uh, hungry."

I ran my gaze over them, noting the messy hair and rumpled clothing. There was some sort of dark soot like dirt covering them, too. Not to mention small rips here and there on their clothes.

I said, "You boys are playing too rough." I shook my head. "What would your parents say?"

"You are my parent," Jonah retorted.

Oh... Yes, he was right, wasn't he? I had momentarily forgotten that I was one, that I was his parent, his stepmother. And to be frank, I had no clue what to do in this case. Was I allowed to reprimand him? I didn't know. I was vastly inexperienced in that arena, after all. But there was always one thing I could do in this case as a parent, and that was to feed them.

I said, "You said you're hungry?"

They all nodded eagerly.

Well, it was to be expected. They were growing boys, and growing boys were always hungry and ate a lot. More so especially if they were Norsewood boys. For one to grow to the size of Aldric, one would have to eat a lot.

Come to think of it, we didn't really have any morning or afternoon tea here, did we? That little snack between meals helps to ward off that hunger feeling I was currently having.

I said, "Then let's have something to eat."

They cheered excitedly. Food always perked them up.

Soon, everyone, including the Etons, sat around the table, and I summoned my magic circle. Within an instant, nine bowls of noodle soup materialized in front of us, along with chopsticks and Chinese spoons.

"Whoa!" Jonah expressed. "It's noodles in a broth."

Ah, he knew this was noodles. It was probably because he thought any food that was thin and long like that was called noodles, as he had had mie goreng the other night.

"What is it?" Leo asked. "What's noodles?"

"What's this thing for?" Max asked, picking up the chopsticks.

"My lady?"

I turned to look over my shoulder to see Gladys, Irene, and Grandma Liz. Oh, dear. It appeared Gladys and Irene's noses were particularly sensitive, especially when it came to me conjuring new food. They seemed to have the knack at catching me in the nick of time. And of course, Grandma Liz just had to be with them. Considering that she was a close family friend of Gladys', them being together now and again shouldn't surprise me.