Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 82

The captives had been rescued and the prison hall cleared, leaving only Aldric and his soldiers. As much as it stunned him, he still couldn't believe they had managed to save the people so efficiently and in such a short time frame at that. If it weren't for Quinn and her unique way of thinking and creativity, and of course, her powerful magic, they would still be on horseback and traversing through the dangerous terrain of Norsewood. By the time they finally arrived weeks later, perhaps half of the soldiers would have succumbed to the horrid weather or fallen prey to monsters. As for the civilians, he doubted they'd be able to save even half as most would have been slaughtered during the chaos that would ensue.

Aldric led the way forward and marched through the extensive hole, just as the sounds of guards shouting and bells ringing echoed from the distance.

"About time I give those bastards a taste of my fists," Juan said, "as a thank you for keeping me and my men here against our will and beating the heaven out of our lives. I've been holding myself back since the first night I woke up here." He followed Aldric, as did the others.

Behind them, Liam drew out his sword, too, hesitantly, and Theo said, "I'll watch your back. Don't hesitate to shout for help if you need any."

Liam nodded. "Thanks, Theo." And the two followed the others into the corridor where an all-out, one-sided annihilation was already starting.

At the front, Aldric marched, his face a hard mask, as a group of guards sprinted toward him, screaming their intention to attack. He raised his hand as a circle appeared in front of them. He said, "Fire blast!"

A ball of fire came flying out of the circle and hit the group before they could even register what was going on, blowing them back and setting them on fire, killing them on the spot. The group behind saw the carnage, their eyes wide in shocked surprise as terror set in, and they started running back toward the exit, shouting, "Intruders! Intruders! Kill them all! Kill all the intruders!"

Vincent snorted and said, "Kill all the intruders? But you're running away, you lousy guards. Sorry, but it's you lot who's going to the netherworld first." He raised his hand and summoned his circle, which was attached with a magical bow and arrow. He pulled the string, releasing the arrow into the air. The glowing white-hot flame flung across the distance, hitting smack-dab on the group, killing them with a burst of electrical shock on the spot. He chuckled. "I still haven't a clue what this so-called electric magic is, but it is very useful."

Behind Vincent, a soldier said to his peer, "Electric magic. Isn't it something like Lord Aldric's lightning?"

Another said, "Is there such thing as an electrical magic?"

A third said, "I've never heard of it either. I, however, have a strong feeling we'll be discovering rarer, unheard of types of elemental magic in the future."

From behind, Theo slapped his hands on the soldiers' shoulders and said, "Lads, perhaps less chatting and more fighting? We can't possibly leave it all to Lord Aldric and Captain Vincent. Look, even young Liam is doing his best." He nodded to Liam who was blasting out fireballs at the oncoming guards. "That's his fifth lot, you know."

The soldiers shifted their gaze over to their lord Aldric who was currently smashing a bunch of their enemies with his mighty fist as he released a burst of some strange magical energy they had never seen before without summoning a circle, blasting the guards back, killing them as they went flying and crashed against the walls of corridors and then landed on the ground. Near him, the younger brother, Lord Juan, was effortlessly sending his fist at their enemies, while swinging his mighty sword with his other hand, slicing more down.

"We should indeed do less chatting," one said and charged forward, summoning his circle. The rest followed as they roared out war cries and summoned their magic.