Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 30

The snowfall was thick and the gusting wind strong as Aldric and his warriors rode northward. Usually, the overwhelming, wintry bitter cold would have caused their teeth to chatter and bodies to shiver, an uncomfortable, unbearable condition to be in, but not so this time, which pleasantly surprised him. With the thick fur jackets, thermal underclothing made of material he had never seen or heard of before, and wooly hats, gloves, and socks, not to mention waterproof boots with thick grips underneath, he and his men felt nothing but warmth as they traversed against the elements.

Pausing a brief second from observing the haphazard pathway ahead, he shifted his attention to look behind him, to ensure his men were keeping up with the undeniably fast pace. Instantly, he noted that two of the three carriages were not within his sight. He reined his stallion to a stop and said loudly over the howling wind, "Where are the other two carriages?"

"Far behind," Theo replied, half shouting.

In the distance, Aldric saw the two carriages looming their way toward them, a speed which was considered fast prior but now was slow in his eyes, and he understood why. Those two carriages were carried by Norsewood's horses that had not been looked at and enhanced by Quinn's magical pills where as his, Theo's, Vincent's, and the four horses from Bedford that led the coach Liam was driving, had.

Aldric had known that during the journey from Bedford to Norsewood, his adorable bride had checked and healed all their stallions daily whenever they had made a stop to camp for the night. He had known, too, that she had analyzed and given them medicines, as she had him, which explained why his stallion was so strong and fast, a beast that could rival the speed of the high-tier monster cheetahs.

Sitting on the front driver's seat next to Liam, Elio said, "My lord, we have no time to waste."

Aldric understood, and the moment the other two carriages finally caught up with them, he said to the soldiers, "We'll head on first to the northern station. Catch up as fast as you can but be sure to be safe. There should already be equipment and supplies, hot meals and drinks, in the carriage if you must camp for the night."

"Aye, my lord," one said while the others nodded.

His instructions given, Aldric turned his stallion, and he, Vincent, and Theo were off, with Liam driving the coach that carried Elio and three other soldiers.

Aldric had expected at least a full day's ride along the quickest route but was pleasantly surprised when barely five hours had passed, even through the wind and snow. It was already evening, and the moment he spotted the northern station against the barely visible light of the last league of the day, a two-story building constructed of stones and wood, and the smoke rising from the chimney, he nudged his stallion to go faster.

The sound of horse hooves against the ground must have caught the soldiers' attention because they came out, some with weapons drawn and ready for battle. Were they expecting hordes of monsters to be invading this far into the territory? Aldric wondered. If so, then it seemed the situation was more problematic than he had initially thought.

Once he got closer and his soldiers recognized him, they lowered their weapons and hurried over while a few at the back shouted, "It's his lordship! It's Lord Norsewood! He has arrived!"

"My lord!" one greeted.

"My lord!" another said.

Aldric didn't miss the look of relief in their tired eyes and knew the circumstances were dire here. Pulling his stallion to a stop, he hopped down, and after addressing each man before him by name, he said to one, "Take me to Connor."

"Aye, my lord."

"My lord!" Connor Carter, Elio's older brother and captain of the Boarder Protection Troop, came rushing out.