Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 81

Quinn

As the cart started moving, the civilians gasped in shock, wondering how the cart worked without a horse, which wasn't surprising. But of course, the soldier was driving it.

I watched as Aldric, along with Juan, Theo, Vincent, Liam, and the soldiers walked in through the passageway, and soon, they'd begin their attack once they had received the message from Connor that we were safely back at camp, a good distance away from the danger and all the slaughtering.

Lilly climbed onto my lap and nestled her face against me. I wrapped my arms around her and said, "You must be starving."

She nodded. "Very hungry, but no food. Are you hungry, too?"

She looked rather worried, and I said, "I'm not, but let's get you something to eat."

"There's food?" she asked. "Bread?"

I chuckled. "No, not bread."

"There's always only bread," a boy elf said.

"Cold and hard," the younger brother said.

"We're blessed if we just have rye bread," the mother said. "Will there be bread where we're going, my lady?"

"If you want bread, there will be bread," I said. "But right now, I think something warm and soft and hearty would be good for weary souls."

"Soup," Maria said.

"Chinese steamed buns," Elizabeth said.

"Ah, yes, steamed buns, lassie," Uncle Colt said. "And perhaps coffee to keep this old man awake."

I said, "Your wishes are my command." I leaned forward and placed my palm on the space in front of me. My magic circle appeared and mugs, two jugs, one of a warm, hearty, creamy pumpkin soup and another of coffee, and a tray of Chinese steamed buns materialized.

Lilly widened her eyes at the sight of the food. "Magic! Food!"

I said to Maria and Elizabeth, "Distribute them, please."

Within an instant, everyone in the cart had a mug of pumpkin soup and steamed buns in their hands and sipping and eating ensued, along with tears flowing and a few hiccups from the children. As for Uncle Colt, he was leisurely enjoying his coffee as he fed a steamed bun to an elf child who was sitting on his lap. There was also a little dwarf girl leaning against him while she ate, too. What was it about him that children seemed to be so drawn to? Was it his big bearlike frame and gentle smile? Perhaps his presence made them feel safe? He was indeed Santa Claus in this world.

"I've never had anything like this before," the elf boy said, and then took another bite of the steamed bun.

"Me, either," said the younger brother. "It's so soft and tasty. Not like the usual hard bread at all."

"What is this food, my lady?" the mother asked. "Is it Norsewood food?"

I said, "You can say it's Norsewood food." After all, it didn't exist anywhere else on Eseron except for Norsewood.

It was twenty minutes later when we reached the opening of the tunnel, and immediately, Robert, David, Kent, Derek, and their team, who hadn't yet had any rest, guided the civilians toward the bus to join the others who had been waiting. Of course, those here had already been fed soup for the severely starved and soup and steamed buns for those not severely starved and could take in solid food while they waited, and most of the children were already fast asleep, their tummies filled for the first time in months.

Despite the bus being dimly lit with crystal lamps overhead, the civilians with us couldn't help but gaze about the interior, with some asking, "What is this strange wagon? It's so big and long."