Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 42

As they walked along the spacious terrace, they looked about and noticed the large field of green grass and there was a spot where there were lots of children around, playing on things they had never seen before, too.

"What's over there?" Steven asked, pointing at the children down below he could see through the glass rail of the terrace.

Max said, "That's the playground. Us kids like to play there. It's really fun. I can show you later if you want."

"Yes, please," Steven said.

"And we're here," Max said. "Units A5-16 and -17."

Derek looked at the tag attached to his key and noticed that it was the same as that on the display plate of the door while Rory did the same at the next unit. Derek inserted the key into the lock and then turned the handle and opened the door.

The moment he saw the entrance, he was stunned, and as Max showed them around the place and how to use the nifty, magical devices like the light switches, the taps with running hot and cold water, the toilets and showers, the washing machine, and even what was called the Vicky television, for the next few moments, he as well as his family became utterly dazed.

"We're getting our own rooms and beds," Natalie said. "Even our children. And the beds and mattresses are so big and looked so soft and luxurious, like one a noble would own. I can't believe this."

Grandma Liz was sitting on the sofa, sobbing because they were suddenly living like kings and queens while Grandpa Joel rubbed her arm. "Hush now, you're making the lad uncomfortable."

Max chuckled. "It's okay. Mama was like that, too, when we first moved in. She's used to all the fancy new things now. We should go down to the Residential Supply Center to get your clothes and other things."

"Clothes?" Derek asked.

Max nodded. "Well, you can't go about wearing those filthy old things. It's just not suitable living in Norsewood Lodge. You've got to wear the proper clothes like this." He spread his arms out and posed like a young model. "See, sweatpants and sweater. It's very warm and comfortable. Also, sneakers. They're very soft to walk on, not hard, and don't hurt your feet like old boots. When spring comes, the textile department where Mama works will be open with all sorts of new clothing, and we'll get even more fancy ones."

"What's a textile department, Max?" Natalie asked, intrigued.

"It's a place where people learn how to make new clothes," Max said. "I know because I make myself learn everything because I'm going to join the administration department when I grow up."

They washed up, using the body wash and hair shampoo the warm water of the shower sprinkling down on them like rain. Then they dressed in new, clean, warm clothing and very soft shoes, the likes of which Derek had never worn before. Three hours later, Max returned and called out, "Let's go! Let's go! I have to show you how to get to dinner." Behind him were his parents, Mr. Gilbert Dodwell and Mrs. Becky Dodwell.

The two families, the Porters and Etons, hurried out the doors and the adults immediately greeted each other and got to know one another. After filing out of the elevator, Max led them to the dining hall where it was already packed with people, and Derek and his family, as well as those who had just arrived with them from Carnfell, felt overwhelmed. Indeed, the place was grand, much like a great hall of a palace, and they couldn't believe this was a dining hall for the likes of commoners.

"You get a tray, a plate, and the cutlery," Max said while everyone did as he demonstrated. "Then you line up to get the food. Oh, and drinks are over there."

Everyone shifted their gazes to the other side where there were large boxes like objects with clear glass windows showing the different colors of beverages inside.