Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 73

Once inside, Juan was pleasantly surprised to find that it was dry and cozy. It was certainly excellent at keeping them protected from the elements, unlike the tent he was used to that could barely keep the rain out, let alone a snowstorm.

Making himself comfortable on the smooth material under him, he said, "Thanks for saving me back there." He patted the squirrel's head. "And Red, too."

Liam shifted his gaze to the squirrel and said, "It's my job to save anyone who needs saving." He turned to look at Juan, drifting his gaze over the man from head to toe and noting the wet hair and soaked clothing. "You're cold and shivering."

"Just a little," Juan said, chuckling. "But I'll be all right soon. Perhaps we could get a fire started. That'd help."

Liam nodded, and then summoned a magic circle. He said, "Let's get you dry first." He looked at himself. "And me, too." The circle glowed and turned, and he said, "Gentle breeze."

Juan widened his eyes as he felt a warm breeze swirl around him, fluttering about his hair and clothing, as well as his savior himself, and of course, little Red whose fur was being swished this way and that. Within moments, they were dry, and Juan had no doubt that his wild blond hair was now a mess of a lion's mane about his head.

He flicked his gaze to his savior's and noted how silky and tamed it was, and he wondered why his couldn't be like that, smooth and easy to manage. Not to mention he noticed a rather lovely smell, like a fresh spring breeze. Was it possible for a man to smell that nice? It was as if his savior had been bathed in a pool of spring flowers.

He flicked his eyes to Red and felt the urge to burst out laughing because the squirrel was so damn adorable with his red fur poofed about him. He was indeed a ball of fluff.

"Take off your clothes."

The blunt command drew Juan's attention, and he shifted his gaze to Liam for a moment, stunned. "Excuse me?"

"Take off your clothes," Liam said. "You're injured, aren't you?"

As he watched Liam taking out what looked like two sets of small crystals, Juan said, "Yes, but I'm fi— Whoa!" He widened his eyes at the sight of the bright light that suddenly flooded the place from one of the crystals. He asked, "Is that a crystal light?"

Liam nodded. "Mm-hmm." He switched on the other one, and immediately it glowed and released warm heat. "And this one is a heater."

"A what?" Juan asked.

"A heater," Liam said. "It's akin to a fire that gives out warmth." He grabbed Juan's hand and brought it close to the crystal.

Juan was amazed. The crystal did indeed give off warmth as he could feel heat exuding from it. Of course, he was also damn stupefied that his savior would nonchalantly grab for his hand as if they were the best of friends. Did he not know of personal space? They were strangers, after all.

He said, "You call that a heater?"

Liam nodded. "Because it gives off heat." He glanced at Juan again and said, "Please take off your clothes. I saw you limping earlier."

Juan said, "I sprained my ankle, but it'll heal. And I'm not comfortable taking my clothes off in front—"

"If you don't, I'm going to strip you," Liam said.

"Strip me?" Juan said, flabbergasted. "Excuse me?" He could see that his savior was being very serious.

Now wait a moment here, he thought, he wouldn't mind being mercilessly stripped by a beautiful lassie, but by a man. Goodness gracious no! Not even if that man happened to be a gorgeous one like this savior who he had yet to know the name of.