Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 87

Quinn

It was an hour later when I, as well as Aldric and about twenty soldiers, were back at the dungeon, and Theo and Vincent led us down to the lowest floor. I felt my stomach churning sickly at the stench of the stale air, and it wasn't long before we came into what could only be another prison hall. If I had thought the first was horrible, this one was worse. All these people were at death's door, and I felt my knees go weak and my heart ache.

"We need to do whatever we can to save them, Quinn," Aldric said beside me.

I nodded. "Yes, we have to do whatever we can to save them," I said. This time, it wasn't saving them from the guards or being imprisoned or whatever it was they were subjected to here. Clearly, it wasn't working as slave miners digging all day. These, I could tell were different. They were subjected to something far more deprived and unholy and shocking. When I saw the animals in the next prison hall, caged and beaten, some already dead for many months, I knew what it was.

Experimentation. Unethical human and animal experimentation, and undoubtedly to do with magic and spells and the likes.

I went over to the pair of pups, burrowing their heads against their dead mother wolf. I could see that they had clearly been tested on, and beaten, too, with slash marks on their furry skin. Reaching my hand in between the bars of the cage, I said softly, "Hey there, little pups." I gently stroked one's side, and it jumped and growled and bared its fangs at me. "It's okay," I said. "You're hurt. Let me heal you." I released my mana, and within moments, the pup was completely healed, and it looked just a little bit confused. I turned my attention to the other one, I believe his brother, next, and healed him, too. This one was gentler, and the moment it could, it jumped up and wobbled over to me, whimpering. I supposed it must be starving.

"You're hungry, eh?" I said. "No worries. Here." I summoned my magic and out came a small pile of soft canine food specifically for starved, malnourished pups filled with protein and vitamins and minerals as well as a bowl of water. I hadn't a clue if they could eat it or not, and in sudden panic, I asked Vicky, "Can they eat that?" But of course, it was too late as the pair started munching.

Vicky said, You have an appraisal skill, you know, so perhaps use that before feeding them anything?

I chuckled. "Yes, of course. Why do I keep forgetting that?"

I heard an exasperated sigh from Vicky, who then said, These brothers are White Fenrir. They have no names, but they are majestic beasts with great strength and can use magic once they become adults. Feeding them any type of food rich in protein is fine. They love all sorts of meat.

I widened my eyes. "They're that amazing?" This was probably why they had been captured and experimented upon in the first place. "Then making them pets would be useful, right? Plus, they need family. Okay, we'll adopt them. I've always wanted puppies."

"I see we're adopting the pups?" a voice said from behind me. I jolted and turned to see Aldric. "They are quite cute."

I stood and said, "And the children would love them. That is, after we've tamed them. They are wild creatures, aren't they?"

He nodded.

"Perhaps Lilly could help. She's a monster tamer."

"Perhaps," Aldric said.

I spent the next hour healing the animals, mostly majestic beasts, that were still alive, and after feeding them, the soldiers took them up and transported them into the airship. When I returned to the other prison hall, most of the one hundred or so civilians there had already been treated and also taken to the bus on stretchers. I rolled up my sleeves and started healing those who still needed treatment, and I tried not to let it get to me at the sight of the injuries. On the outside, it was awful—with slashes and stabs as well as large needle marks with dark bruises and gashes that wouldn't heal—and I knew that on the inside, it was worse. Once they were healed, they'd stared at themselves, both confused and stunned, and despite that they were physically fine now, their mental state was far from it.