Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 84

The ground shaking and the ear-deafening sound of screeching woke the civilians, including Klein and Les, and they came rushing out of the tents to see a dragon flying in the sky and sparks of lightning zapping at the behemoth of a creature. There were gasps of wilderment as well as terror, and the children instinctively huddled close to their parents, afraid, as everyone stared in disbelief.

"What is a dragon doing here?" Klein said.

"In all of my life, I've never seen one this close," Les said.

Klein said, "Shouldn't we be evacuating?"

"We must find Lady Norsewood immediately," Les said, and they scanned around the place, searching for the lady in charge. They noted several soldiers, and Klein tsked in outrage. Were these Norsewood warriors crazy? Why were they not protecting the civilians and initiating an evacuation? The Mountain Dwarves would have acted already, vacating the premises and taking refuge in the depths of the dungeon of the mountains, hiding away from the carnage that would follow wherever a dragon appeared.

"What is that?" Les said, pointing at the magnificent airship parked a small distance away.

Klein widened his eyes, having only realized that such a splendid-looking thing, the likes them Mountain Dwarves could only dream of and fantasize of building with their imaginative minds, was here. He felt his knees weaken, the desire to closely study the contraption mounting in his chest, despite the dire circumstances. Suddenly, an echo of screams from the civilians caught his attention, and he, as well as Les, turned to see the dragon falling in the distance, crashing onto the side of the mountain. The two looked at each other, and they wondered who could have managed such a feat, to bring the behemoth down.

"Mama! The dragon falls. The dragon falls," one boy said, tugging at his mother's sleeves.

It was then Klein and Les saw Lady Quinn running down from the airship, and following behind her was Lord Colt Templeton. The two rushed over to Lady Quinn, and Klein said, "My lady, we must evacuate the civilians immediately."

Quinn, her eyes on the dragon, said, "And where would we go? It's safe here with the barrier."

"Safe? Here?" Klein said, flabbergasted.

"Barrier?" Les said, confused, for none had ever heard of such a thing before.

Quinn turned to Uncle Colt. "I must go to Aldric."

"Then I'll come with you," the man said.

Quinn shook her head. "No. You're in charge of looking after the civilians." She marched forward as a large group started swarming around her.

"My lady," one man said. "We must evacuate. There's a dragon." He pointed to the sky. "We all will die if we don't."

Quinn said, "You should all be safe here. The barrier should be sturdy enough against the dragon." No time to explain the specifics, she raised her hands and summoned her magic.

The moment the circle appeared, gasps of astonishment rang out from the civilians, and Les said, "Ancient magic?"

A vehicle materialized, and Klein could only stare, stunned, at the sight of the sleek vehicle with small spinning wings on either side at the front and back.

"What a marvelous vehicle," Uncle Colt said. "Is that a motorbike? But where are the wheels like the ones in the movies?"

Quinn chuckled. "It's a speed bike, or a hover bike. This one, magically made as it is, can fly." She hopped on as Klein and the Mountain Dwarves stared at the contraption with fascination. "I'll be back," she said as the engine revved at the same time the dragon flew up to the sky over the mountain. "Let's get going, Vicky."