Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens: Chapter 45

Quinn

At exactly two o'clock, I opened the door of one of the classrooms up on the third floor of the common building, and the girls and women filed in, looking as excited as could be. I recognized the young mothers, too. They must have left their children in the childcare center to be here.

Everyone took seats and some stood since there weren't enough chairs to go around. To aid in this class, I had Maria and Elizabeth, as well as Eden, Sara, and Frances. Of course, my in-laws had never used makeup before, and they certainly had never heard of it either, having lived all their lives in Norsewood, which was so isolated and far away from anything and everything.

Apparently in Athol, only the noble ladies and the very wealthy could afford makeup, and that only contained face powder that was filled with toxic materials such as lead, arsenic, and mercury to achieve that flawless, pale, silvery, gleaming complexion, lip rouge with one color to give that perfect red tinge, and liner which was made of ink to enhance the eyes. Nothing as modern and fancy and safe as my magic version.

Once the room was silent, my students waiting with expectation, I cleared my throat and began. "Welcome, everyone, to the skincare and makeup class." I summoned my magic circle and conjured a range of products: face wash, toner, moisturizer, eye cream, face mask, BB cream, foundation, eyes shadows, blushers, and lipsticks as well as various makeup brushes.

All eyes automatically turned to the products on the table, and since the beauty pottles and bottles looked so elegant, they couldn't help but marvel at them.

I said, "These are skincare and makeup products. The skincare products help in keeping your skin clean and moist and some may even reduce wrinkles and dark spots."

There was a lot of awed expressions at hearing this, and I continued. "The makeup products are to make you look radiant. Although if you don't like the strong look, you don't have to wear it."

Rosie put her hand up.

"Yes, Rosie?" I asked.

"Does my lady use both the skincare and makeup?"

I nodded. "I use the skincare products all the time, twice a day, once in the morning after waking up and once at night before going to bed. The makeup, I use them most of the time, although I haven't been doing that since I've been here." As in waking up to find myself in this world.

"Remember, it's also a good idea to give your skin a breather. Let it rest for a couple of days of the week. I usually do this on the weekend unless I'm going out or have dates with friends." Turning to the others, I asked, "Anyone else have any questions so far?" When no one raised their hands, I said, "Now I'm going to show you how to use each product."

It was an hour later when practicing began with a lot of giggling and laughter as faces were being cleansed, moisturized, and painted, and two hours after that when everyone took home a basket filled with skincare and makeup goodies, and by then, it was dinnertime.

The dining hall was loud and busy, as usual, as everyone lined up to get their food. It was pumpkin soup, roast pork and root vegetables served with gravy, and fresh green salads along with berry puffs and apple pie as dessert tonight, a favorite here in Norsewood Lodge.

I was just sitting down in my allocated spot, smack-dab in the middle of the many seats along the lord's table on the dais, when the children came running up to me.

Abi raised her hands, and I knew exactly what she wanted. Chuckling, I lifted her up and then plopped her on my lap. Alex climbed on the chair next to me, which had two cushions to add height, and noting that he was struggling, the nursemaid, Martha, helped him. Jonah, on the other hand, took his seat on the other side, next to the one that was Aldric's. Soon, the other Templetons came in, too, and the table was quickly filled up.