Chapter 6 - The Knight in a Winter Coat

November went fast. It was already December and South Korea was deep in snow.

We were almost done shooting the scenes in Korea. Just one last scene and we would be ready to travel to Japan. Our last location in Korea was Cheongju-si. It was almost two hours away from Mapo-gu, so I had to travel with the rest of the crew going there since I was afraid I might get lost again. We left the company at six in the morning to avoid the morning rush.

We shoot from morning until late in the afternoon. It was difficult because of the cold weather. It was more difficult for me since I was not used to it. However, I was amazed by my colleague because they still were able to plan a group dinner after wrapping up the shoot. Not even the cold weather could stop them.

Despite the tiredness and headache, I went with them to show courtesy. The main leads could not join us because they still had schedules of their own. So the dinner was mostly attended by staff members.

I was the only foreign person in the group, but they were so friendly and accommodating that I did not feel unwelcomed. Kim Guk Chun PD-nim, the Korean director I was working with, asked me about the films I worked on in the past and the country I came from. Although I was still struggling with my Hangeul, I could understand them and converse with them.

I was actually thankful because I had adjusted very well although I came there when the production was already halfway.

At eight pm, I decided to leave first. They were still drinking soju, but I really needed to go since I had a video conference with Sir Richard at 9:30 pm KST (8:30 pm in the Philippines). And that meant I had to travel back to Mapo-gu ALONE.

I asked one of the staff what bus I should take and where I should get off. I could not ride a taxi since it would be more costly given the distance. Good thing, I got the right bus. I even sat near the door. However, I still had gotten lost.

I could not believe myself! How could I fall asleep and wake up in an unfamiliar place?

"Excuse me, Sir? Are we still far from Mapo-gu?" I asked the driver. My heart was beating fast due to nervousness.

The driver looked at me through the rearview mirror. "Mapo-gu? Far!" He said and was gesturing with his hand towards the back.

Damn.

"We passed by Mapo-gu already?!" I exclaimed, nearly hysterical.

"Uh." He nodded and my hands went cold.

I looked around the bus and noticed I was the last passenger. It triggered my anxiety more.

As I was no longer thinking straight, I decided to get off without second thought. But I regretted it the moment the bus left me and I saw how isolated the place was.

It was scary. The place was dark save for the lone lamppost on the bus stop I got off at. There was no nearby establishment or residence, except for a closed minimart.

There was no flying lady with severed lower body in South Korea, was there?

I tried to collect my wits and called So Eun, but she was not answering. I also tried to call the production staff I left earlier in the restaurant, but all I got was endless ringing. Did they already drown because of soju?

Tears started to stream down my face. My anxiety was eating me up already. Plus, it was getting colder. My hands were getting numb underneath the gloves.