Chapter 37 - Her Plot Twist

I did not get the chance to see Young Hyun before they left Jeju. We had talked only through phone call and that was only when they arrived in Seoul.

We were really busy with the filming that I was lacking sleep and missing meals. It did not help with my headache and just seemed to trigger it. Add the attitude of my co-director and it was indeed hell.

After we wrapped up the shooting in Jeju, we flew back to Seoul. On that same day, I flew to Manila for the premiere of The Pearl of the Orient. It was really hectic.

Mara and my family fetched me from the airport. Seeing them somehow eased the tiredness and the jetlag.

"You look so tired. Let's go, so you can have a rest." Mara said wrapping her right arm around my waist while she took my hand-carry bag with the other.

"I've been traveling since dawn. That's why." I said. "But I cannot miss the initial showing, you know."

While on the way to our house, I messaged Young Hyun, saying I already arrived and asking how he had been. He had not responded until we arrived at our house. He even called.

"Jjang! I miss you." He exclaimed the moment I answered the call.

I laughed at him, which caused me to yawn. "Sorry. I'm just tired and a bit sleepy."

"Oh? I'll just call back tomorrow then."

"No. It's okay. I really wanted to hear your voice. I haven't seen you since last week." God, I really did miss him.

"When are you returning to Seoul?"

I laughed again, but I was careful not to yawn. Seriously. "I just arrived and you already want me to return?"

"Ya. I thought you miss me as well?"

Why, that kid..."The day after tomorrow. Tomorrow night's the premiere night. Then, I'll fly back the next morning since we have to prepare for the filming in China."

I heard him sigh. "Yeah. There's that. We'd meet anyway before you leave, right?"

"Yes. We will..."

Probably because I was already tired and sleepy, I just let him dominate the conversation. I did not even notice that I fell asleep. It was already morning when I woke up.

When I checked my phone, I saw a voice recording that Young Hyun sent. I played it and came his angelic voice acing Eternal Love by Michael Learns to Rock. How he came to know that it was one of my favorite songs, was a mystery. Still, it made my morning light.

I messaged him my apology for sleeping on our conversation and my thanks for the recording, then I started my day...with another headache.

I actually had it when I woke up, but I ignored it since I remembered Young Hyun. I told my mother about it over breakfast and she urged me to go see a doctor. But I really did not have the time though, so I just went through the day bearing the pain.

Before the premiere night, I spent the afternoon in the office catching up with my colleagues and our producers. We ate out for dinner before I went to the premiere night.

I did not know if it was because of the large audience, but I began to feel stuffy as the night wore off. My headache also felt worse, despite the painkiller I took after meal. Because of that, I could not make myself concentrate on the movie.

After the film, I excused myself from the team and went to the comfort room. I felt my surrounding spun and lost my balance, but I still managed to get to the door before darkness finally claimed me.

...

I woke up in the hospital with my family and Mara in the room. My sister, Carmina immediately ran out to call the doctor when she saw me awake.

"What happened?" I asked at particularly no one. I tried to sit up, but my mother told me to stay put.

"People saw you lying on the ground outside the toilet." It was Mara who answered. "You were unconscious, so they immediately called for an ambulance. You were passed out for almost 12 hours."

12 hours? "But my flight..."

"Krizza, don't worry about your flight. Think about yourself instead." My brother scolded. "Mama said you have recurring headaches. You should have gone to a doctor for a checkup."

"Kuya, I can manage. It's probably just because of stress." I argued although I feared that my headaches were something else. "Ma, go home. I already feel fine. You might fall ill yourself."

"Anak," (My child.) It looked like she didn't sleep. "I will really fall ill if something worse happens to you, so please take care of yourself."

I just nodded to end the conversation. It was hard to argue with your loved ones especially if they were right.

The doctor came with a nurse and Carmina on his heels. He asked me how I was feeling.

"How long have you been experiencing this headache?"

"I don't really know. Probably after I was hospitalized due to overfatigue. It was in April."

My mother looked at me shocked. Oh, shit. I forgot that I had not told her about it.

"I have a hint about this symptom, but you have to undergo MRI scan to make sure. We have scheduled you tonight. We need to find out what is causing your headaches."

What he said made me nervous. I began to worry about just everything. I even felt like crying, but I held back.

When the doctor left, my mother hugged me without saying any word. She must have been afraid for me.

Mara tried to lift the mood by saying, "Don't worry, Steins. Everything is going to be fine."

With what she said, I remembered Young Hyun, who was probably been waiting for my call. I was supposed to be already returning to Seoul, but I was stuck in the hospital. Yet, I did not know what to say to him. I did not want him to worry.

That night, I was submitted for an MRI scan. I was really nervous...scared, but I fought to calm down. The test went smoothly and we only had to wait for the result.

The result...

like I said before, my happiness always came with a cost and it seemed like the"collector" had not forgotten to collect my dues. And it was too expensive. My life was the price.