Chapter 14 - Closer to You

The next day, I immediately bought a ticket for the earliest flight to Manila. I called my superiors in CJ E&M regarding the emergency. Thankfully, they allowed me to take a one-week off.

I went alone to the airport, but I was on the phone with Young Hyun during the whole ride.

"I'm sorry that I cannot accompany you to the airport." He said which was actually unnecessary. "We have a band practice today."

"I told you, it's fine," I said. "By the way, did Jae already arrive?"

"Why?"

I shrugged. "You said you have a practice, so I assume he's already in Seoul."

"Ah. He'll arrive in the afternoon."

I heard someone speaking in the background, so I asked who it was. Young Hyun said it was Dowoon.

"Jjang-noona!" The kid greeted. He seemed like a kid to me.

"Hey, Dowoon-ie!" I greeted back.

"Uh, GOT7 sunbaenim...Uh, fan meeting. We...uh, attend and you."

I chuckled. He was referring to GOT7's upcoming 5th-anniversary fan meeting. They promised to bring me on that in exchange for me wearing that pink sweater.

"He's learning English, by the way," the proud 'dad' cut in. "When are you returning to Seoul?"

I did not tell him how long my vacation would be. I wanted to surprise them on the day of the fan meeting. "I don't know. I probably cannot attend the fan meeting, but I will try to return early so I can go with you. I'm really sorry."

The other line was silent for a while until he said, "It's okay. Your mother's health is more important." He sounded desolate.

We ended the call with a promise that we would eat out at least before they continue their Youth World Tour in Europe.

Arriving in Manila, I was fetched by my older brother from the airport. We drove directly to the hospital from there.

I was really relieved when I saw my mother finally awake, waiting for my arrival. I hugged her tight while crying in her arms. She was hushing me saying she was okay.

I told her about Seoul, Japan, London and Thailand. We talked until she felt tired and I told her to take a rest. My brother brought me home to rest as well while our youngest was left to look for our mother. We no longer had a father. He died as a brave soldier during an ambush ten years ago.

By the way, they were not my biological family. The woman who bore me, my mother's younger sister, died giving birth while I had no idea who or where my biological father was. But I had been using his name, Steins. All I knew was he was half-American and half-Filipino.

While in Manila, I visited our office and gave updates on my work with CJ E&M. I also met Sir Richard to discuss the script I wrote for 'Pearl of the Orient'. However, he insisted he could not do anything with my plea and that I better meet with our bosses. Although impossible because of the time constraint, I still asked for an appointment.

My mother was released from the hospital two days before my scheduled flight back to Seoul. It was also the day I was called to the office of our Head for Production. After taking my mom home, I went directly to the company.

Despite how much I pleaded for them to delay the shoot until my contract with CJ E&M ends, our head didn't give in. They would actually be starting to film in the last week of January. My only consolation was that they would credit me as the writer.