Chapter 29 - Happy Together

I woke up in an unfamiliar place, but it did not take me long to realize I was in a hospital, lying on a hospital bed. My eyes roamed around the room until they settled to the man sleeping on my bedside.

Young Hyun was sitting on a stool, his body leaning towards the bed and his head resting on his arms which served as his pillow. I could clearly see his handsome face, peacefully succumbed to sleep. I stared at him and realized how blessed, if not lucky, I was for meeting him. I never thought it was a coincidence, but a fated encounter instead. Because of him, I began to believe that love was not fiction.

However, I suddenly asked myself: did I deserve him? He was just perfect: handsome, kind, talented, hardworking...a star shining brightly in the night sky, while I was someone plain with flaws and ugly past...a comet going to crash anytime. (Oh, what a metaphor!)

Without taking my eyes from him, I lifted my hand to sweep the strands of hair covering his eyes, my favorite facial feature of him. However, I stopped when I saw the ugly scar on my wrist, a reminder of what I went through before. I was suddenly worried if he had seen it when I was passed out.

"Oh, you're awake." He stirred up from sleeping.

I immediately put my arm down and tried to hide the scar on my wrist with the long sleeves of my hospital clothes.

He sat straight and swept his hair back with his fingers. I didn't know if he was aware, but what he just did made my heart skip another beat.

"What time is it?" I asked him to convert my attention to something else.

He checked his wristwatch. "It's almost midnight."

So I was out for only a few hours. Then I realized he should be home already!

"What are you still doing here then? You should go home. You won't be able to sleep here comfortably."

His eyes went smaller. It meant he was dead serious. "Ya, just think about yourself. Do you know what the doctor said? You're over fatigue."

Again? I was probably really stressed.

"It's because the past few weeks had been hectic." I reasoned out. "It's the stress."

"Then you should take some days off. The filming is already finished anyway."

He was right. I really felt I needed some rest and peace of mind.

A few seconds of silence went between us. My eyelids were heavy with sleep and I noticed Young Hyun was still sleepy as well. He kept yawning.

"Go back to sleep," I told him. I lied down on my right side to face him.

He did not answer, but instead, he suddenly stood up and told me to move a bit on the left side of the bed.

"Why?" I asked, but I did what he told me.

To my surprise, he lied down beside me.

"Hey, what are you doing?" I tried to pinch him, but he caught my hand. "The nurses might see us."

"Shh...Just sleep."

We were facing each other, with a very thin gap between us. I could actually feel the rhythmic beating of our hearts.

He put his left arm between my head and right shoulder like a pillow.

"You're going to strain your arm," I said, staring up at him.

"It's comfortable this way." He countered. His eyes were already closed.

"You're really stubborn, aren't you?"

He laughed and opened his eyes. He stared down at me but did not say anything. So we just stared at each other.

"What do you like about me?" I was just suddenly compelled to ask.

He smiled. "Hmm...I don't really know what it is in particular. I just like everything about you: your being true to yourself, your honesty, your passion for what you do...everything."

"I like your eyes." He placed a butterfly kiss on my eyelids. "I like your nose." Another sweet kiss on the tip of my nose. "And I like this." Without hesitation, he claimed my lips ever so gently.

My heart was hammering so fast. I doubted if it was still normal, yet with him, every moment had always been special.

The kiss ended and replaced by a hug. I could hear his loud heartbeat, as loud as mine. It was probably the sound of love.

"How about you?" Next, he returned my question. "What do you like about me? Ah, wait. It's not just 'like', right? It's more than that."

He still remembered that?

"Yaaa..." I hit him softly on his chest. Did he have to tease me with that?

He laughed at me. "Wae? You said it yourself."

"Stop it." I tried to get serious, but I also found it funny, so I did not sound convincing.

He stopped laughing. "Okay. Okay. But you have to answer the question too."

It took me a while before I answered the question. "At first, I like you as an artist. I'm your fan, remember? I like your songs, your passion, your hard work."

"Then when did it start to become more than like?"

I thought he was teasing me again, but I realized it was a serious question.

I reminisced the time I got lost on my home from our shooting location in Cheongju-si. I believed it started there.

I smiled as I remember that. "I won't tell you."

"Wae? I really wanted to know."

I closed my eyes. "I'm going to sleep now."

But he would not let me sleep without telling him. He kept on poking my cheeks, which was annoying.

"Stop that." I scolded him, but he just went on.

"I won't until you answer my question."

I caught his hand. "Okay, okay. It started when I got lost on my way home, then you saved me."

"Jinjja?" He was smiling ear-to-ear. "I actually fell in love first, then."

What?

I stared at him, frowning.

He laughed at my reaction. "You don't believe me?"

"I think you're joking."

"Aniyo." He played with my hair. Was he nervous?

"I actually think I fell in love the first time I laid my eyes on you. When I walked towards you, everything just went slowmo while my heartbeat went fast. Sweet, right?"

I did not know what to do with his confession, but I almost died because of that too overwhelming feeling. I never expected that!

"Why does it sound greasy?" I joked to ease the loud beating of my heart. I was afraid I might have an attack.

He laughed again, music to my ears. "Ya. It took me a great amount of courage to tell you that. Don't you know?"

I laughed and buried my face on his chest. He pulled me closer to him, with his left arm half-hugging me.

For the first time after a long time, I slept peacefully.