Chapter 42 - I Miss You

Young Hyun could not understand what he felt at that time. It was a mix of happiness, longing, surprise...He wanted to run to her, hug her and kiss her.

"Hi, Krizza. You didn't bring Marcus and Hannah with you?" Young Hyun's father greeted.

She smiled--the smile he missed. "Hi, Mr. Kang. I actually asked Hannah to tag along, but she said she's too old for parties." She made a quoting gesture with her hands. "Marcus is already asleep. You know him."

Mrs. Kang ushered her into the dining area and introduced her to everyone. The DAY6 members were all staring at her.

"Noona—" Dowoon tried to catch her attention, but Sungjin stopped him.

Something was wrong.

"This is Krizza, our neighbor." Mrs. Kang said, her arm was comfortably wrapped around her shoulders. "She's a writer at our local newspaper."

"Oh? Really?" Lisha exclaimed. "But you seem familiar. I think I've seen you somewhere. In the television or online perhaps."

"Uh, that's impossible." The guest denied it. "I've never been in a television...as far as I remember."

Jae and Wonpil exchanged meaningful glances while Dowoon and Sungjin looked at Young Hyun, who was in disbelief as was the rest of DAY6.

"By the way, this is our son, Brian." Mrs. Kang introduced Young Hyun to her.

She finally found him. "Brian?" There was a flicker of familiarity in her eyes as if she was trying to remember him. "Hi! Your mother has told me a lot about you." Then she noticed his four bandmates. "And you probably are his co-members, am I right?"

She couldn't remember them! But it had only been a year!

"How did you know?" Mrs. Kang asked, surprised. "I thought you rarely go online."

She laughed. Oh, how he missed her laugh. "I could see that they are tired. The concert just ended, right?"

Mrs. Kang introduced the rest of them. She also asked her to dine with them, which Krizza gamely accepted.

Young Hyun did not take his eyes from her. She wasn't talking to them and only had her attention to Lisha who engaged her in a conversation about literature. His parents would jump in from time-to-time, but she would again listen eagerly to Lisha.

She had changed a lot. Young Hyun noticed. She seemed more happy and relaxed...But she didn't remember them. He wanted to ask her why.

"Are you okay, son?" His mother noticed him spacing out.

He nodded and returned his eyes to Krizza, who was now staring back at him. His heart almost jumped out of his chest. She could still do it to him like in the past. A sign that meant he still loved her.

"You're probably tired." His father said.

Then, unbelievably, Krizza talked to him again. "Uhm, do you want to try the cake? I can't promise it tastes good though."

"You know how to bake?" Jae asked as surprised as Young Hyun was.

She smiled again. "I just started to learn, so..." She sliced a piece and gave it to Young Hyun, making his heart constrict with happiness...and pain.

He tried not to cry and tried the cake instead. It was, however, good.

He nodded his head in approval. "It's good. I like it."

I miss you, was what he wanted to actually say.

After dinner, Krizza already bid everyone goodbye. She said she needed to wake up early the next day for her regular checkup.

Young Hyun followed her outside, hoping she would remember anything about him at least.

"Jjang." He called out.

She stopped to face him. She looked puzzled. "Pardon?"

He held himself back from wrapping his arms around her. "It's me, Brian."

Her frown deepened, but she was smiling. "Uh, I know. Your mother introduced you to me, right? And she actually has told me a lot about you."

"Yeah?" He did not know what to say. "Like what?"

She thought for a bit before she said, "Like how you went back to Seoul alone to pursue your dream as a singer. And how you were able to finish school while being a part of a band. That's amazing, by the way."

Her smile almost melted him. He even wanted to cry.

"And can I ask something?" She suddenly asked. "Do you know me? I mean have we met before? It seemed like it."

She could not really remember him. He no longer knew which was more painful: her leaving him, learning she was sick or that.

"You don't really remember?" He desperately asked.

She stared at him. "Sorry. I really can't. I—"

"Brian?"

She wasn't able to finish what she wanted to say because of his mother. Mrs. Kang went out to see what was keeping her son for so long.

"Krizza? You haven't gone home yet?"

Krizza's eyes went from her to Young Hyun. "We were just saying our goodbyes. Anyway, I really have to go. Good night, Mrs. Kang. Good night, Brian."

She waved at them and left. However, Young Hyun called her again.

"Do you want to come with us tomorrow?" He asked, praying she'd say yes. "We'll just tour around...if you're not busy, that is."

And the odds must be in his favor because she agreed. Yes!

"Sure. After my doctor's appointment."

When she was finally gone, his mother put her hand on his shoulder. She said, "Come inside. I have to tell you something."