Chapter 38 - Hurt Road

I begged my doctor to let me out of the hospital and promised to take his recommendation. My family was also hesitant, but I assured them that I just needed to tie loose ends. By loose ends, I meant my work...and my relationship with Young Hyun.

"You don't necessarily need to quit, Krizza. You can take a leave of absence." Sir Richard tried to convince me, but I already made my decision.

I sighed. "There's no certainty I would be able to come back. It's just..."

"Krizza." His voice was both sad and hopeful just like the rest of my family and friends. "You have been under a more difficult time in your life. Is this the right time for you to lose hope? Isn't this how you were taught by all those that happened in your past? To have faith."

Sir Richard had always been like a father to me. He was one of those who helped me reach my dream. I owed him half of my life actually.

I smiled, but it was sad. "I haven't lost faith. I'm just open to possibilities. You know me. I always look at both sides of the coin."

It was his turn to sigh. "If that's your decision, I'll respect it. But promise me that you'll come back. No matter how long it will take."

I nodded although I, myself could not say for certain if I could go back.

The next day, I flew back to Seoul. So Eun fetched me from the airport and hugged me really tight upon seeing me.

"Are you okay?" She asked the moment she let me go.

I nodded. "Of course. I'm fine. Just tired with the flight."

But she did not seem convinced. "Sure?"

"Yes. I'm very much sure." I had taken a painkiller before the flight, so I did not have a headache. However, I was feeling lightheaded.

From the airport, we went to her apartment first for me to rest. I never got the chance to look for another place, plus So Eun and I had grown fond of each other.

"By the way, PD-nim. Kang Young Hyun has been asking about you. I guess you haven't told him yet about your condition."

I stopped rummaging in my bag because of what she just said.

Young Hyun had been contacting me since the premiere night of Pearl of the Orient, but I was not answering his calls and messages. I had not told him about my illness and he probably did not know since I asked my producers to stop any news about it. I just wanted to live the possible remaining time I had in peace.

"I should contact him soon," was all I could say.

After resting for a while, we went to CJ E&M to submit my resignation. Like my producers in Manila, they were really saddened about my decision. Still, they understood.

I was pulled out from Leave No Trail. They said, someone would replace me, but they still had to look for him/her. Anyway, I felt sorry for whoever s/he was. The co-director was really a difficult person to deal with.

I was packing my things from my workstation when I felt my phone vibrated. When I checked, I saw Young Hyun's name on the screen. My heart ached instantly.

Should I answer it? Should I tell him?

Before I could notice, the first tear already fell, then another followed. I wiped them first before I decided to finally answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Jjang! Finally!" He sounded relieved. "Why weren't you answering my calls and replying to my messages?"

I felt a lump in my throat as I tried not to cry. "Sorry. Something came up."

"Are you okay?" He was really quick, wasn't he? "You don't sound well."

"I'm okay." My voice broke. "I'm just tired."

He sighed. "What happened? You were supposed to come back to Seoul last week. Did you go directly to China?"

My stupid tears began streaming and my heart was really aching. Yet, I was trying hard to hold up. "No. I'm already in Seoul. It's just..." I sighed. "Can we meet? Tonight?"

"Sure." He did not even bother to check their schedule. "Where should we meet?"

I thought for a while and said, "In the park where we filmed one of your scenes in the web drama."

...

I was looking at him from afar. He was holding a bouquet of flowers and a bag of what I guessed was food. Seeing him, I could not stop myself from breaking into tears. I really missed him...loved him, but I could not go on with what we had in my condition. I would just become a burden to him.

When I finally convinced myself that it was time, I wiped my tears and walked towards him. His face lit up when he saw me, but his smile almost faded when he noticed my face.

"Is there something wrong?" He asked so innocently. It was painful.

I looked away from him. "I...I have something to tell you."

He did not say anything. He remained quiet.

I sighed. "Let's break up."