Chapter 39 - The Cost of Love

Young Hyun laughed loudly, but without soul. It was empty and probably confused.

"Ya. Jjang, don't joke around like that."

"Brian, I'm serious." I looked directly at his eyes to show him I was not kidding.

The smile finally disappeared from his face. "Is this a prank? It's not a good one."

I shut my eyes close for a second and said, "I will be leaving and not coming back."

"Leaving to where? To China?" He sounded angry. He was angry. "Why are you not coming back?"

I shook my head and stared at him again. My heart tore to pieces when I saw pain in his eyes. I had to look away. "I will be returning to Manila. My contract with CJ E&M already ended and I will no longer be coming back to Seoul."

"But I thought...you haven't finished filming, right? You said your contract will end in October. It's still June! Jjang..." The last word sounded like a plea.

It was too painful, but what could I do? It was better that way.

"Sorry..." I could no longer hold my tears, so I turned my back at him and walked away.

"Krizza...please..." But he held unto me. He hugged me from the back, the flowers and foods forgotten on the cold ground.

"Naega...I really love you. You know that, right?" He was already crying too, making me sobbed more.

I did not deserve him.

"Brian...please let me go." I pleaded although I was hoping he would not.

"No. Not until you take back everything you just said." He was being stubborn again. "Chaebal..."

I removed his arms around me and faced him. It really hurt me seeing him like that, but I knew it would hurt him more if he would hold unto me although my future was no longer certain.

I reached for his face and wiped the tears on his cheeks with my thumbs.

"I have to leave. We can't keep our relationship. You have to move forward without me."

"Wae?!" He was getting frustrated and I understood. "Why do you have to leave? Why will you not come back? I told you, right? That we will work it out no matter how far the distance. So tell me the reason!"

My hands fell on my sides. My head began to hurt again, but I tried to ignore it.

I did not have the heart to tell him.

"I was offered a permanent job in the US. I told you, right?" Lie. "I accepted it. I already resigned from my job in Manila. I also ended my contract with CJ E&M. I will be staying in the US for good."

He did not say any word. He must be in disbelief. It would have sounded selfish for him. I understood.

I turned my back to him again.

"I won't stop you from reaching your dream." He finally said. "But as I said, I will find you wherever you are. And I will wait."

Please don't, I wanted to say. But I could not bring myself to say another word. It just hurt.

I left him there standing in the summer night...hurt. I hailed a taxi back to So Eun's apartment. Our wonderful memories together kept playing in my head throughout the ride home.

Pain. It was our love's worth.