Chapter Three

Lydia Montgomery

Lydia Montgomery. I never knew the name of my roommate's little sister would be crossing my mind so often, and not in the way I would have expected.

It wasn't hard to remember her face as she had stood out to me the first time we'd met all those years ago, back when I was still together with Marnie.

Even thinking her name brought a bad taste to my mouth.

Marnie had clung all over me the entire evening as we celebrated Lydia's high school graduation which Lucas had invited me to since we had become pretty good friends in the short time that I'd lived with him in the rent house.

Her boyfriend at the time was clinging onto her like she would disappear if he wasn't attached at her hip. He was a pretty tall dude and seemed formidable and Lydia didn't look like she minded having him draped all over her so I didn't mention the weirdness of their interactions to Lucas, even when I saw what happened next.

She started walking away and he grabbed her roughly by the arm. I was about to step in and say something but then she turned around and smiled lovingly at him so I figured I must have been seeing things.

I felt pure hatred for the guy once I laid eyes on him, though, because it was obvious she was way too good for him. She was darker like Lucas which only added to her mystique. She had gorgeous waist length brown hair although when I saw her again that morning she had cut it a little bit to the middle of her stomach.

The guy was scrawny and looked like he wanted to stake his claim on her right then and there at her graduation in front of everyone, not forgetting to kiss her and hold her waist or slap her ass any chance he got, at which point she would just furiously blush and swat his hand away but I could tell it embarrassed her.

She probably met me and didn't give me a second thought, but I on the other hand was very observant of the world around me and thought about her consistently for a few months after we'd met.

My interest dropped off after I found Marnie's social media accounts flooded with dick pics and her own nudes that she had sent out, as well as proof that she'd cheated on me countless times.

I was so angry with myself. I had been given a scholarship to the school of my dreams but declined so I could go to college to be with Marnie, all at her insistence.

It felt like I'd missed out on the opportunity of a lifetime for a cheating girlfriend who never cared about me to begin with.

So we broke up, I focused on getting to play QB at my state college and doing everything I possibly could to get the NFL to take a look at me.

It was hard, but I had finally convinced a scout to come out to see me play at our next home game and wouldn't you know it, I pulled my hamstring in practice just one day before the game.

And to top it all off, I come back home expecting an empty bed but instead find Lucas' sad, snarky little sister asleep in my bed.

She had matured more in the last two years but I didn't know the extent of it until that blanket fell away from her body giving me a full unsolicited view of her barely covered chest, and if I hadn't been so messed up about ruining my only shot at the NFL again I probably would've tried something with her.