Chapter Thirty-Two (Part 2)

Everything hurt

Everything hurt. I was completely sore and broken all over, and I didn't know which way was up and which was down.

My vision was blurred, tinged vignette on the edges and I could hardly conjure up a single image that led up to the events that landed me in a rock hard hospital bed with a banged up face and sore ribs.

Lydia's face flashed in my mind and I wallowed in her likeness, the stark blue of her eyes falling into place just as the warmth of her hand fit directly into mine.

The hallucination felt so real, so raw and flesh and bone. There were saddened rings of red surrounding those emotive blue eyes and I wanted to desperately to wipe away that tear from her cheek but for some reason my limbs were heavy with lead, strapping me down even further than I already was.

And then it came back to me.

Drayton Merrick, my long time football rival, had shown up to the stadium with Marnie, looking for a fight. There was paranoia and anguish in his eyes, and I climbed into the recessed corners of my mind to try and remember the reason for his unbalanced state, the fact that he hadn't been drafted onto a single team because of how all in he was with the Patriots, not giving any other team a second glance, so when they chose me, his career aspirations were pretty much in the trash along with his attitude and temperament.

We argued, drawing a scene. There was something off about the entire situation, though, almost like he wasn't really wanting to fight at all but something kept urging him on, commanding him to continue hailing his verbal assaults my way.

I finally had had enough and told him to piss off, at which point he jumped back into his Jeep with Marnie in the front seat and decided to take off, or so I thought.

He clipped me with the front end of the vehicle, throwing my entire body to the ground causing me to roll on the hard asphalt, scratching up my face in the process.

I remembered the impact knocking the breath out of me, a sharp pain exploding in my abdomen from the force of the hit and soon his tires were squealing away.

I could have sworn that I noticed a strange set of shoes walking towards me, all black wing tips and black slacks, but the owner never made it to my coughing and wheezing form on the ground.

One moment, the ominous person was walking deliberately and quickly towards me, but the wail of a police siren stopped them in their tracks. The person swiftly turned on their heel and brusquely walked away as if to keep from being noticed by the police.

Lydia's soft hand was warm in mine, the callouses on my hands from the rough years of playing football a perfect distinction from hers supple and smooth.

"I promise you that I'll never let him hurt you ever again. I'm going to help them catch him, and then we'll both be safe."

No, no! I wanted to yell, to call out to her, to make her realize that the perpetrator wasn't who she had immediately assumed.