Chapter Thirty-Two

"What the hell was all of that mom?"

Lucas' mother stared back at him with a glazed over look in her eyes, a far away expression etched onto her face that was riddled with tears that had only fallen once Lydia ran away.

I had called out to her, and for a split second I thought that she would turn around but never did. It hurt, but I knew that she needed time to herself and away from everyone in order to process things.

I processed my emotional shit by playing football, so running was probably her physical escape.

"I came here to apologize, but I just made it worse...I always make everything worse."

Her words were whispered but the impact of their meaning was tenfold. She blamed herself for whatever had happened to Lydia all those years ago. The only question I had was why she had let that man in that had upset Lydia so much in the first place.

It was as if she was trying to pretend like the past had never happened, like she wanted everything to go back to normal.

"And Harvard? She really got in and she's going?"

My head snapped up at the mention of the Ivy League school in Massachusetts...one that was only a car ride away from Gillette Stadium where the Patriots held their home games and practiced everyday.

If she went to school there, then we wouldn't have to say goodbye when it came time to leave for football.

A swarm of hope bloomed up in my abdomen, threatening to squeeze all of the air out of my lungs if I wasn't careful. I needed to find her, so she didn't do anything rash.

I needed to go to her and tell her that I wanted to be together. I'd wait for her to be emotionally ready for a relationship. I wasn't interested in anyone romantically, and I wasn't going to stray. I had no need for meaningless flings and hookups anymore...I wanted more.

I wanted Lydia.

She had to know how I felt about her.

"Where do you think she went?"

"Hell if I know. You'd be better off running after her on foot."

"Okay, thanks man," I said to Lucas, both he and Reed staring after me as if I'd lost my mind.

I tipped my head towards their mother as I ran after Lydia, the confusion plain as day. If she was confused why I was running after her in the first place, then she didn't know just how amazing her daughter really was and the effect that she had on people. She was everything and more all wrapped up in one extremely strong and intelligent not to mention beautiful body, and I wasn't going to let her slip away.

The entire run, I tried to think like her. Where would she go?

I passed the local shops, the park where she most definitely was not at the swings, the local grocery store, and she was nowhere to be found.