Chapter Twenty-Four

The fury was immediate

The fury was immediate. How dare he have the audacity to show his face at my family's home, as if he were still a close family friend?

No, that title was revoked the second he betrayed my trust and twisted my own words against me, making me look like a fool in front of everyone I knew in my home town, in front of my entire family...in front of the person that I was just about to get justice from.

"Harvey, you remember Lydia. I believe there was something you wanted to say to her?"

His wiry gray hair and dark green eyes that were yellowing in the corners stared into my own and then I was back there in the court room, everyone'e stares pinning me down as he fired question after question at me before I could even answer my own. I was just trying to tell the truth but everything that came out of my mouth he twisted until it seemed like I couldn't be believed, like it was my fault.

I had lost all of my control once before, and I couldn't stand the fact that this man was trying to take it away from me again.

"Uh, yes. Lydia, I am truly sorry about how things went down all those years ago. I've stayed close with your family to try and make amends but Adsila told me you were never ready to hear it."

"That's right, I wasn't ready for your apology then and I never will be. You know in your heart that what Christian did was wrong, you know he was guilty, and yet you destroyed my credibility in front of everyone, making me seem like some- like some common whore in front of my entire family! You could have settled out of court, but you wanted to tear me apart on the stand just to prove a fucking point. You are despicable. You and your son destroyed my life, and that is something that I will never forgive you for. And you-"

I turned my heated glare to my mother, the anger rolling off of me in waves. She gulped with fear in her eyes as she took a step back.

"How dare you allow him to stay in touch with you, with our family, after knowing what he did? You sat there in that court room while he berated me, degraded me, and humiliated me in front of all of our friends and family who were there to support me?! You know how much that process destroyed me and you just didn't even care! You thought it was Nate that drove me away from you? No, it was this behavior right here. You never cared about my struggles, you always wanted me to just 'move on' and put everything past me like nothing had ever happened. Well guess what? Your daughter is damaged goods, and no matter how hard you try to shove the facts under the rug, the fact is that nothing will ever change that."

I was panting with the effort of my outburst and had it not been for the fact that I was an adult and could be charged with assault, I would have smacked the shit out of Christian's father then and there.

I felt Lucas and Emmett's presence behind me, but I didn't have to say another word.

They followed me out to the car, but not before I not so gently brushed past my mother with my shoulder slamming into hers. She was speechless after what I'd said, not that I didn't blame her. It was something that had been brewing for years, I just didn't have the nerve to spit it out. But that was then, and I was suddenly imbued with a new power that I hadn't had before.