Chapter Twenty-Nine

I awoke refreshed and warm, a solid body underneath my head the source of my comfort

I vaguely remembered asking Emmett to stay with me the night before so it wasn't as much of a shock as it would have been had my memories not surfaced, the nightmare's strong effects tainting me more than I realized.

I felt weak and vulnerable in the throes of my night terrors, but with Emmett's arms around me, a safe little nest wove its wya around the two of us and I was finally able to sleep without the trace of even a dream to muddle my mind.

He sucked in a deep breath of air and turned to his side, a goofy but lazy smile draped across his plus lips, the memory of how soft they'd been against mine suddenly invading my mind.

I threw those images out of my head and smiled back at him, the weird familiarity and surreal thought of how normal this seemed forgotten once our eyes locked.

It was like we'd woken up next to each other every day for years, and this was just another fun morning waking up wrapped in each other's arms.

"What time is it?" he asked, his voice still thick with sleep.

"I think around five," I said, my phone out of sight but I recognized the look of the sun barely peaking through the clouds. I had far too many sleepless nights to not memorize the times as the sun made its way high up in the sky.

"I have to get up, I'll be late for practice."

"You have practice this early?"

"Well, no, but I want to show that I'm committed. It actually starts at eight but it never hurts to put your best foot forward. I've worked my ass off to get recruited to this team, I'm not letting it slip through my hands this time."

His dedication and devotion to football was refreshing, as the only thing Nate had shown any interest in was alcohol, his friends and cheating on me with mine.

I scooted out of his embrace to give him room to sit up but he locked his arms around me even tighter the more I tried to wriggle away from him.

"I thought you said you had to get going?"

"I can wait a few more minutes."

I rolled my eyes playfully as I leaned back against his chest as I listened to the soft thumping of his heart against my back, relishing the feel of the quiet room as we just both simply existed.

I'd never been so utterly comfortable and at peace with someone before, and it was a little unnerving considering how little we really knew each other. I'd met him a few years ago, sure, but we hadn't had any contact after that until I moved in with Lucas.

And the thought of my brother ruined our moment, his words slapping me in the face as I recalled our last conversation.

I toiled over the question in my head over and over, how could he? How could he say those things to me, knowing how damaged and broken I'd been after it had all happened? Especially the trial.