Chapter Fifteen (Part 2)

For a moment, it was just air between us

For a moment, it was just air between us. There was no one else in the room with us, no doctor, no nurses, no interfering family members...just the two of us, and that was all we needed.

He stood in the doorway of my hospital room and it was as if his presence had sucked all of the air out of my body, and I wanted to cry with relief that he had finally appeared in front of me, almost like I had manifested his attendance at my bedside.

It didn't matter in that moment, everything that was pulling us apart, desperate to make sure these two halves of magnets couldn't connect.

I forgot about any self consciousness that might have been present had I not been so full and brimming with the best kinds of emotions.

His charcoal hair was clean cut and pulled back off of his face, black stubble crawling along his jawline in the most masculine and sexy way possible. I wondered why he hadn't let it grow out before...

Those eyes met mine, finally, after taking in my appearance before him with those eyes, with their striking cerulean hue. I wondered how I must have looked to him, fragile and broken in a hospital bed hooked up to machines with needles stuck inside of my skin, but then I remembered that he'd already seen me in this state, and had only left in order to go and win the Super Bowl, a fact that wasn't lost on me.

Everything was different. He was famous-more than famous, he was a celebrity. He had dated one of the most popular superstars in the country, and that attention wasn't about to go away easily.

I didn't care.

I'd have to give up my lifestyle...but I didn't care.

I had him in my grasp, finally, and I wasn't letting go.

His mouth twitched in a smirk and I pulled myself out of my self inflicted reverie, peeking around at everyone else who all of a sudden appeared out of nowhere, shattering the little world that was only ours for a split second.

"What?"

My voice was hoarse and breathless, but the blush on my mother's cheeks was evidence that I had probably just embarrassed myself, but I didn't care. Emmett was there.

"The doctor asked if that was okay with you, staying with Emmett."

"Oh."

Was I okay with that? Hell yes.

"Yes. Yes, I want to stay with him."

He breathed out a sigh of relief from across the room, and I was about to ask how he even questioned what my answer was going to be, but he broke the invisible barrier and crossed into the hospital room, not stopping to pay any attention to the rest of the people who were still in the room with us.

They didn't matter. It was only him, as he wrapped me up into his arms that felt just like home.

The tears slipped down my cheeks easily, relief filled, ecstatic and effervescent tears that were shed for the time we'd lost, for the time we'd use to make up for it and for how undeniably and purely happy I was in that moment.