Chapter Thirty-Four (Part 2)

The stiletto cacophony of my aching heartbeat resounded in my eardrums, the chest cavity where my life giving organ resided expanding exponentially to accommodate for the ever growing speed at which it pounded incessantly

A soft crackle filled my ears, then, a welcome distraction from the sheer panic invading my senses.

"We're in place, Lydia. Just take your time, and remember that he can't hurt you before we get to you. We're just playing a waiting game now, so take a deep breath. You need to get out of your car now, he should be coming soon."

Detective Ryan's voice filled me with a particular sense of both dread and hope, if hope even was the right word for the emotions infiltrating my body at that very moment.

One second passed, then two, then three. It was as if my body knew what to do of its own accord, as my shaking legs swung to the left and my sweating, numbed hands clasped the handle of my car's door.

I took one parting breath, one last look at the escape that I should have used before going on this suicide mission. But if I knew it was a death trap, then why did I agree to this in the first place? Because I knew they'd catch him, but not before hurting me, or worse.

But it would be worth it. If he never hurt another person again, especially someone that I loved, my demise would be worth his downfall.

But would it be worth the carnage that I left behind in my wake? I wasn't daft to think that this wouldn't hurt Emmett, might even wreck him...but he would heal. So long as he was alive to give himself time to regenerate the hole in my heart my death might cause.

Blinking back the salty tears that clouded my already distorted vision, my feet hit the black asphalt and then a calmness draped over me, like an eerie windless day before the inevitable tornado that would come to bring disaster and ruin.

The building to my left was crumbling and dilapidated, its walls browning and dull where it had once been a brilliant white. The one to my right wasn't much better despite being a younger age.

Shaking, steadying breaths plagued my lungs as cigarette smoke tinted air filled me and I was almost instantly transported to the night where Raphael hurt Amalia, to the day outside the courthouse for Christian's first trial, to the nights where Nate would belittle and demean me in front of his friends at the bars...

And now it would forever be associated with this day, this dark and dreary mid afternoon day, overcast and bristling with stark cold that sank deep into my bones as if it were on a mission to scald me to the quick simply by searing me upon impact with the weather.

I wrapped my trembling arms around my midsection and forced my legs to take one step, two, three...

And so on and so forth until finally I was positioned in the middle of a dark and dank alleyway, the dripping of old rainwater splattering into a puddle and I could have sworn that I heard the telltale signs of a feral cat hissing and screaming in the distance, the sentiment echoed in any horror or action movie in which the audience would scream at the dull and unintelligent main character to run as fast as her legs could take her. But my feet stayed glued to the cracked pavement beneath my feet, the bullet proof vest almost weighing me down on the spot.