Chapter Twenty-Seven

I was drowning, the craving for doing something crazy flowing through my veins

I was drowning, the craving for doing something crazy flowing through my veins. I recognized all the symptoms of my breakdown before they happened, but it wasn't like I could stop it now.

It was all coming to a head, and I was in a downward spiral that only my medication and therapy could pull me out of but I didn't want that.

I didn't want help, didn't want to get better. I wanted something reckless and dangerous.

My fingers began texting Rafael before my brain could even acknowledge what on earth I was doing, the chemicals rushing through me of their own accord pushing me to go farther and farther, deeper into the dark place that I went to after the trial.

I hadn't gone there after Nate, mainly because he wasn't worth going there for, but as the memories stacked up on top of each other, the reminders of how toxic he truly was...I felt myself sinking deeper and deeper each night.

I rummaged through my things, picking out my favorite weapons of choice...I hadn't used them since I was seventeen, when a man at a bar got too frisky with a girl who obviously didn't want it.

The taser lit up and buzzed to life, the feeling of power in my hands growing by the second. I imagined the crumpled look of pain on Rafael's face as I used the weapon on his most sensitive part. The dark fantasy brought a malicious smile to my face but a knock on my door had me hiding the taser in my pocket before whoever it was could see.

"Come in," I called, irritated that they had interrupted me while I was concocting my plan.

"Hey, I just wanted to apologize. Of course you don't have to make a statement about anything if you don't want to, that's your life and I never should have sided with your brother or your dad. They both left, by the way. I figured we could chill on the couch again tonight, watch a movie?"

And in that moment, staring into Emmett's deep blue eyes and taking in his heartfelt apology, a clam night at home was exactly what I wanted...but deep down, in that murky place beneath my soul where a monster lied I knew I could never have that.

Calm.

I would always be filled with tumultuous pain and angst that could only be cured by an appetite of vengeance and justice.

"Thanks for saying that...I'm actually going to go hang out with Amalia tonight, though. Rain check?"

His face fell, and I couldn't help but think that I was making a huge mistake, but it was already made for me. I'd chosen the path that was most destructive, the one that suited my dark needs.

My phone beeped and while I was pretending it was Amalia, it was really Rafael, asking me to drive to his house.

He probably thought I was up for a booty call, but that was hardly what I had in store.