Chapter Thirty-One

I didn't make it to my therapy appointment

Sitting out in her car parked outside of the rent house, my mother ambushed me on my way to get some emotional healing, not realizing how impeccably damaging her timing really was.

"What are you doing here? Didn't tear me apart enough the other night, so you came back to add insult to injury?"

She resigned herself with her hands clasped in front of her body as she escaped her car, her hair draped in my favorite braided style in the front- a style she rarely wore because it would emphasize her Cherokee heritage, which wasn't necessarily something that she wanted to emulate to the rest of the world.

"I came to talk some sense into you, my only daughter."

I grimaced at her sharp tone and icy words.

"I don't know what 'sense' you're talking about, I can assure you I am very much in my own right mind. You mean you want to talk me into doing whatever you want me to do, which I'm assuming is apologizing to Christian's father so dad's political career isn't dead in the water. Am I getting warmer?"

"Lydia. I don't know where we went wrong," she said, moving closer to me as if to make an emotional appeal to me.

She was mistaken if she thought that I was going to fall for that. I came to her after the assault, and she was all for getting justice for what had happened to me, until she realized just who Christian's father was. That left me all alone, drowning in a sea of naysayers and accusations saying I was just doing it for attention and that I had probably wanted it, I just regretted it after the fact.

They didn't see me as a person, they saw a girl that they could slut shame and taunt until she lost every piece of her that used to be unique and beautiful, tainted and stained forever by the actions of one boy but also by the cruel and heartless words and actions of a society as a whole that was rigged against her.

"No, that's not going to work on me. I know the exact moment we went wrong. Do you want me to enlighten you?"

Her glassy but unwavering eyes kept mine in a stare down, one that I knew I wasn't going to lose.

"I was on your bed with you wrapping me in a hug while I cried into your arms, describing everything in disgusting detail the night that it happened when I came running home barefoot. You were so angry, there was a fire in your eyes that only went out when I mentioned Christian's last name. Dad was on the up and up at work and you had just started your philanthropic work, and I guess you realized that making an enemy of such a powerful man wasn't a good look for you. Do you remember what you said to me then, when you put it all together in your head?"

She didn't have it in herself to continue with our stare down, but it didn't feel like I had won anything. Proving to your own mother how utterly wrong and disgusting her actions were against her own daughter was loss enough for the both of us.