Chapter Seventeen

"Emmett, meet Rafael, my date

"Emmett, meet Rafael, my date. Rafael, this is my brother's friend and one of my roommates, Emmett Scott."

Emmett's eyes were searing with bubbling anger, something I didn't quite understand in that moment, and Rafael was starting to look a bit pissed off, although for what I wasn't sure.

"Lydia, you didn't tell me you had a male roommate..."

"Yeah, we're all guys. What, she didn't tell you that on your date?"

"What Emmett is falling to explain is that this is my brother's house and due to a recent personal...falling out, I had no choice but to move in here with him and his roommates."

Rafael's eyes cut to me and I noticed them softened a tiny bit when he noticed my pained expression.

"Well, you look wonderful. Are you ready to go?"

As he had said earlier, we were going somewhere to eat and I assumed someone of his influence would already have the best table at the fanciest restaurant in town reserved, so it was purely understandable that a ball of nerves wadded up in my gut at where he was going to be taking us.

"Yeah, let me just grab my bag from my room."

I was only gone for two seconds but as I entered back into the living room, Emmett was leaning down in Rafael's face in an extremely threatening and off putting way.

"Is there a problem here?"

Both of their heads snapped back up but once again it was all fine, as if they didn't know that I had witnessed their heated pissing contest like a couple of competing alpha male dogs.

"No, not a problem at all."

Rafael stood up and both men were the exact same height, but I could tell as they stared each other down once more they both raised their shoulders to try to get an edge on the other.

Okay, that was weird.

I eyed Emmett suspiciously as we left but he just rolled his eyes and escaped to his room behind the kitchen and I laced my arm through Rafael's extended elbow.

"So...what was all that about?"

He grimaced as he walked me to the passenger side of his car.

"How about we save that conversation for the restaurant? You look lovely by the way."

The blush was immediate. It had been a long time since a guy had given me a nice compliment like that. When I was with Nate it was always him telling me I was hot or sexy. Most of the time I wore what I wanted he always criticized it and made me go change into something more 'appropriate' for the situation according to him.

I was disgusted with myself at how long I had let myself spiral into settling for the worst thing for me.

My mom was so right, but the thought of having to go to her and admit that and beg for her forgiveness was a hard pill to swallow, even if I knew I was going to have to do it eventually.