Chapter Five (Part 2)

I was nursing more than a headache after reading the words splayed on the screen in front of my face, and thanks to Amalia's lack of personal space, I had to school my expression and features on my face otherwise she would immediately know how bro...

I was nursing more than a headache after reading the words splayed on the screen in front of my face, and thanks to Amalia's lack of personal space, I had to school my expression and features on my face otherwise she would immediately know how broken I was about the fact that Emmett was outwardly moving on, and with someone who's status was as intimidating as her beauty.

Sofia Renault was a singer, actress, dancer...she was everything most girls strived to be, especially considering she was an activist for the environment, women's rights, needy children and even more. She was the epitome of perfect, but it wasn't her looks or status that I was jealous of...no, it was the fact that Emmett Scott clung onto her waist in the red carpet pictures like he'd known her for years and was more comfortable than he'd ever been with me in public.

Granted, our relationship was more than short lived, it was practically a blip on the radar of my life when I accounted for how many years I'd wasted with Nate, but instead of rehashing the years I'd squandered on a lying sack of shit, I covered my face with a neutral expression and pretended like I was fine when I was really dying on the inside.

"Wow, Sofia Renault. He's definitely doing well for himself. Good for him."

I turned my back to Amalia and while she couldn't immediately get back in front of me because it was harder to maneuver herself around me in the narrow kitchen with her wheelchair, I still attempted to keep my emotions in check just in case she caught the reflection of my fractured face in the surface of the chrome appliances in the kitchen.

She'd been doing better in the previous months than she had in the first weeks after the accident, but the wheelchair was still an adjustment. I still couldn't get over her self deprecating humor as she explained it was hard enough to find a partner in life being a lesbian, but even harder being a paralyzed lesbian.

I always laughed with her at her jokes that were self inflicted upon herself but my smile never reached my eyes. It always felt like my fault that she had been injured and fully paralyzed from the waist down after the accident, if I'd never invited her back with me to live with me at Harvard then she wouldn't have been in the moving truck with me and we never would have been hit at the stop light by the driver that was texting and not paying attention.

I still shivered as I remembered the quick trial and how long he'd been sentenced to jail, but it was a welcome change from the 'he said she said' trials that accompanied sexual assault.

I sighed as I pushed the memories away from my consciousness and picked up my steaming mug of coffee and set myself on getting ready for the day. In my free time I'd taken up weight training and yoga along with running since the weather hardly permitted the outdoors activity and my physique gladly changed according to the physical activity I'd endured.  I'd had to take it easy the first few months after the accident, my injuries superficial but still painful.

A few bruised ribs, a nasty cut on my face that left a lingering scar on my eyebrow and a broken pinky finger was all I endured, while my best friend would be paralyzed...forever.