Chapter Twelve (Part 2)

The next few weeks flew by in a flurry of activity filled with strenuous workouts, nights staying up studying my ass off and avoiding Malcolm's inquiries about when I'd be going out again on my 'death wish crusade'

The next few weeks flew by in a flurry of activity filled with strenuous workouts, nights staying up studying my ass off and avoiding Malcolm's inquiries about when I'd be going out again on my 'death wish crusade'. I'd ignored him ever since.

The Patriots were well on their way to the Super Bowl as they won all of their games leading up to the main event and Emmett Scott was the topic of every sports news channel, even the regular news did a short snippet of coverage on him, and they didn't forget to mention his 'whirlwind romance' with Sofia Renault.

Gag me.

The campus was buzzing with the excitement and while I tired my best to block it all out, the suspense of how I spent my nights making everything flood right back to the surface.

I'd been back to the pub a few different times but each time there wasn't any action, so I graduated up to going to the Royal and I'd only spotted one guy drugging a girl's drink but I went up to her, told her what happened and made sure she got into a car with her friends before turning around to find that the culprit had skipped out, not wanting to get caught for what he'd done.

It was the week before the Super Bowl and bets were being made at every table I passed by in the club every night that I went, and since Boston was the hometown of the Patriots it was obvious who the majority of people were rooting for.

With each day, more and more articles about Emmett and his new girlfriend filled my internet news carousel and it was so overwhelming that I had to disable news about him and Sofia altogether. Breakups were hard enough without the news that my ex was already over me being shoved in my face on a daily basis.

I'd missed my doctor's appointment for my heart issues when I'd ended up having to work later on a project with Malcolm than I'd ever anticipated and he'd even weaseled his way into already meeting Amalia.

He was trying the friend route, and while I wasn't opposed to having another friend, it was hard to break down past my walls and I definitely didn't give him an inch when it came to my secrets in the past.

He took my coldness in stride and just assumed it was part of my 'charm' even though I was pretty sure the word charming wasn't in my personal dictionary.

It wasn't until later that Friday night when in the middle of a workout on that same treadmill in the gym that I realized how stupid my forgetfulness was when it came to missing my doctor's appointment.

I had been pushing myself too hard, skipping meals and not drinking enough water but still working my body to the hardest extent possible, not to mention the stress load of trying to keep a solid GPA at law school, go out almost every night to catch assholes trying to assault women and keep a certain pro football player off my mind even when he was the only thing my mind wanted me to focus on.

My heart skipped a beat.

I felt it, like a sucker punch to my chest, knocking the air out of me.