Chapter Four

The glow of my cell phone light shone back at me from the dark sanctuary I'd found underneath the covers of my new comforter on my new bed

After I had my breakfast, I excused myself from the guys because I had 'schoolwork' to do, when really all I wanted to do was hide in my room under the covers away from prying eyes.

I went through my phone and deleted every single picture with Nate in it, which turned out to be the majority of my pictures.

Then I did the same with pictures of Layla and while it was semi-therapeutic it just felt flat out pathetic when I only ended up with a measly three hundred photos when before it had been well over a thousand.

I then started my social media detox, deactivating my Instagram handle and Facebook account. 

After that was done, I went through my messages. There were some well wishes for the wedding from some of my friends that I'd invited.  They were the friends that I had hung out with at school when Layla was busy or had a different class schedule, so we weren't all that close.

The stinging burn that singed me the most was the fact that I was technically all alone in this. The only person who I could truly count on was Lucas, but he was a guy, not really someone I could spill my guts to without him becoming extremely uncomfortable.

I was sure he knew what had happened even though I'd been a blubbering mess when he'd picked me up from my old apartment. 

The memory resurfaced of its own volition and I held on tight because I knew it would be a traumatizing one.

It was only one in the afternoon, but I'd gotten done with my classes early so I figured I would surprise Nate at his job.

He was an assistant at an insurance adjustor's office on the other side of town than my college so we didn't really see each other much during the day since it was such a long drive to his office, but it was so close to the wedding that I thought it would make a great surprise.

I waved hello to the woman at the front desk as I entered and she gave me a confused look.

"Hi, how can I help you?"

I shouldered the bag that held the food I'd grabbed on the way over for Nate for his lunch.

"Hi, I'm Lydia.  I'm here to see Nate, is he here?"

She scrunched her eyebrows up in confusion.

"Yes, do you have an appointment?  He's currently in with someone..." she trailed off and I waved her off.

"No, I'm his fiancee.  I'll just drop these off in his office then, it's the first one on the left?"

I didn't give her a chance to reply as I lightly knocked and opened the door a small bit, but the scene I saw in that sliver of air between my face and the door was enough to knock the breath completely out of me, and I was still trying to catch it.