Chapter Twenty-Two (Part 2)

The dew drops glistened on the Harvard lawn as I adjusted my eyes from the sunny disposition, my sight not so used to the bright light stemming from the ever present sun

The dew drops glistened on the Harvard lawn as I adjusted my eyes from the sunny disposition, my sight not so used to the bright light stemming from the ever present sun. The apartment was much more dim, the ambience suddenly at the forefront of my mind as I missed Emmett more than I had as soon as I'd stepped out of the vehicle.

His kiss lingered on my forehead, and while I thought we'd never escape that bed, the real world was beckoning me forward and I knew there were things that I desperately needed to take care of.

My steps crunched on the melting snow on the sidewalk and I took a few steadying deep breaths as I walked under the wrought iron gates that guarded the entrance of my college like a mighty warrior. No one was looking at me strangely, no one even gave me a second glance, all focused on their tasks in front of them and I was merely a stranger in their path on their way to getting their objectives finished for the day.

As soon as I stepped over the threshold of the campus, a calm flooded me and I realized that I could do this. I placed my hand over the monitor still placed on my chest, carefully hidden under a tight black turtleneck shirt and prayed that no incidents were going to occur on my first day back.

I quickly spotted Malcolm and walked to our first class together with him, glad that I'd finally made a friend among the masses of people who seemed to think I was invisible, which was fine by me, it was just nice to see a friendly face in the crowd.

Classes were brutal. Even with all the notes and watching all of the lectures over video, it was still hard to get used to the rapid fire questioning, and the professors assumed that if you were in attendance, then you didn't need any extra time to reacclimate to the atmosphere, even after a traumatic incident.

I was up to my ears in coursework, not to mention the case that I was supposed to be close to solving with Malcolm, but I couldn't start on that until I got through all of my other classes.

I caught a ride share home not wanting to have to bother Emmett but what I walked into was not a good studying atmosphere.

My mother, father and brother were all sitting on the couch in Emmett's apartment while Emmett himself greeted me at the door and took my enormous stack of books from my hands and placed them on the dining room table.

"What's going on?"

Emmett's usually placid expression twisted into that of guilt and my confused meter started going off.

"I invited your family here for a dinner."

"You did?"

"Yeah. I thought it would be nice to air any grievances you guys might have had, try and make things less...tense."

"Emmett...can I talk to you alone for a second?"

His eyes went wide and I thought I saw fear flash behind them.