Chapter Sixteen (Part 2)

The cold light of day finally decided to extend its blinding tendrils of morning into the hospital window and even the warm expanse of Emmett's body underneath mine couldn't keep the sleep  from being stolen out form under me

The cold light of day finally decided to extend its blinding tendrils of morning into the hospital window and even the warm expanse of Emmett's body underneath mine couldn't keep the sleep from being stolen out form under me.

I wanted to brush my teeth before Emmett could smell my morning breath but thankfully a nurse entered at that very moment and I was saved from having to extract myself from him.

"It's time to take out your catheter and make sure that you can get up on your own and do some things for yourself."

"Okay," I said and Emmett just pulled his arms out from where they'd been wrapped around my body, gave me a kiss on my forehead and told me that he'd be waiting outside. I tried to hide the furious blush that stained my cheeks pink but he didn't miss the effect that he had on me.

He threw me a blinding smirk as the door shut behind him and I was left alone with the nurse who helped me to the shower after taking out my catheter, something that was not a very comfortable action whatsoever, and she left me alone to do my business in the shower with my hygiene routine.

Once I was properly scrubbed and cleaned, I threw my hair up into a wet bun and stared at my appearance in the mirror.

I wasn't as dark as I had remembered, my skin a few shades paler but that could have been because of my lack of food but the influx of fluids I'd been given through the IV had kept me sufficiently hydrated and my skin was looking better than it had been before I'd been in the hospital, and it seemed like I'd lost a few more pounds that I really didn't need to lose considering I'd already been skipping out on some meals.

The bags under my eyes were gone and there was a glow to me, although that probably had more to do with the fact that I was finally happy and with Emmett than with anything else.

Sighing, I finished brushing my teeth with the things my family had brought over for me from my apartment and splashed my face with some cold water to try and calm my frenzied mind.

I had been steady on my feet the entire bathroom trip and save for a few moments where my heart raced, I hadn't felt any different than my normal self.

I was ushered back into my normal room where Emmett was waiting on me and he sat at the foot of my bed while I pushed the pillows up against the headboard to sit up and eat my breakfast which was already laid out for me, and upon seeing food my stomach rumbled in appreciation.

"Miss Montgomery, you have a visitor."

"Okay, thank you."

I was expecting my mother or Amalia, but definitely not Malcolm.

"So, you don't know Emmett Scott huh?"

I blushed when he brought up my lie, but I was glad to see that he had loads of files and paperwork in his hands, most likely the work I'd missed while being out in the hospital.