Chapter Thirty-Nine

The sunlight filtered through the curtains in my bedroom and a strong arm draped across my abdomen began moving, disturbing my blissful sleep

I groaned as an ache shot through my body, a reminder of the amazing night that I'd had less than twelve hours earlier, and a sleepy smile immediately flitted onto my face.

"Goodmorning," he said, his lopsided grin forcing the butterflies out of my stomach to make way for a swarm of bees that were setting up a permanent residence.

"Morning," I replied, my own smile equally as big.

We didn't have to say anything in that moment as we basked in each other's presence, the still quiet of the morning making way for an amazing rest of the day ahead of us.

"I wish I didn't have to ruin this, but I need to go for a run. Do you want to come with me?"

I thought for a moment about joining him but then I remembered that the only reason I usually went running was to escape things and there was nothing that I wanted to forget about the night before.

"No thanks, I'm going to catch up on some work, but I just might join you in the shower when you get back."

His responding grin was answer enough for me and he laid a short and sweet kiss on my lips, though I wanted more. With Emmett it was as if I was always left wanting more.

He shimmied out of the covers just as my phone lit up with a new message.

It was from Amalia, and she was asking if I could come pick her up. I asked her to send me her location without questioning what she was up to last night, I figured if she wanted to tell me what happened then she would, and I wasn't going to push her.

As I was readying myself to leave, I received an email notification from Harvard. There was an exclusive summer program that I had been recommended for, and it paid for my room and board in a single dorm, no roommate. It sounded like the opportunity of a lifetime, but...Emmett. There was still no telling if the Patriots were going to recruit him, but if they did then that would mean that we'd be in the same state, the same city...

I'd make up my mind about it later, I decided. First, I needed to go and get my friend from whatever wild hookup she'd gotten herself into the night before.

I told Emmett through the shower door where I was going before brushing my teeth and fixing my hair and then I was off, driving through a ridiculously nice neighborhood before I finally reached the location Amalia had sent me.

I had not pictured Marilyn, the girl Amalia had been so crazy about, living in this house.

A modern structure, the windows were floor to ceiling and there was clearly a pool over the hedged fence that probably cost more than my entire car.