Chapter Thirteen (Part 2)

I awoke in a sharply sterile white hospital room, the linens incredibly soft against my skin

I awoke in a sharply sterile white hospital room, the linens incredibly soft against my skin. This wasn't a normal hospital room, and it seemed like I was in a private room with state of the art tech surrounding me.

Something was wrong.

I'd tripped on a treadmill in the gym, Malcolm had spotted me and called for help. Sure I blacked out but that was from hitting my head too hard on the equipment, right?

And then my heart stuttered lightly in my chest and I remembered. No, I wasn't just in here because of slipping in the gym.

Then why was I in such an expensive part of the hospital? A ball of dread settled in my stomach as I weighed out the options of what had happened.

Amalia would have been notified, as she was not only my emergency contact, but Malcolm would have called her immediately.

When the doctors figured out I'd made an appointment for heart issues, would she have called my family? My mother...

She would've paid for me to be transferred to this section of the hospital, that much I was sure of. I really didn't have it in me to deal with her in that moment, which was why I was glad that when I hit the nurse call button, an orderly came in immediately, followed by a greying doctor with knowledge lining the creases in his weathered face.

"Miss Montgomery, you gave your friends and family quite a scare. How are you feeling?"

My throat was scratchy but I forced out a measly, "Fine."

"Good. Now normally we wouldn't have gone to such trouble to bring you back here, but you didn't wake up for quite some time, so we brought you back here and did a few scans of your heart while you were asleep since in your chart it shows you were having some trouble with it. We found something a bit concerning."

I waited for him to elaborate.

"Mitral regurgitation and signs of atrial tachycardia were present in your echocardiogram. Now, while it all looks mild we are going to start you on a restricted diet and exercise program and some medication to see if we can manage it properly. You're going to need to wear a monitor for about a week to make sure there's nothing else we're missing and you'll need to be discharged in the care of someone who can wait on you diligently, a family member or close friend but from the looks of the waiting room it doesn't seem like you'll be in want of caretakers."

My face flushed with the news I'd ben given. Mitral....atrial what? I had heart problems. Was it going to kill me? Was I going to die?

An electrifying sense of dread zipped through me.

"Am I going to die?"

His face grew serious and grim.

"Most patients with this early diagnosis go on to live a long and healthy life if treated properly. Everyone has something wrong with them, medically, and considering the rest of your tests you are otherwise a very healthy twenty-one year old. According to your roommate you hardly drink, don't do drugs or smoke. I think you'll be able to manage with well with medication but we want to run as many tests as possible. Now, as I've discussed your condition with you, do you consent to me filling in your parents on this as well?"