Chapter Nineteen

I couldn't believe Emmett and the way he was acting

I couldn't believe Emmett and the way he was acting. If he didn't want me dating Rafael he didn't have to try and come up with some outlandish plot to bring his ex into it to tell me some story to try to get me to turn on him.

I thought back to our kiss, the gentle passion that swam in my veins from the steady action of it and brought my fingers to my lips as I slid underneath my covers in bed.

Maybe Rafael was just the rebound that I needed, not someone to get serious with but someone to tread the waters with to help me fully recover from the betrayal and prepare my heart for a real love, the love that I truly deserved in life.

I spent the night tossing and turning in bed, the nightmares leaving me alone but sleep was following suit, and by three in the morning I called it quits and ventured into the kitchen to grab a midnight snack.

There like out of a scene from a horror movie, Emmett stood in the corner of the kitchen with a cup of what smelled like potent coffee in his hand while scrolling through something on his phone.

"Shit, you scared me," I announced as his head snapped up from what he was doing and focused his eyes on me.

He pocketed his phone and raised an inquisitive gaze upon me, the unspoken question hanging deftly in the air.

"Couldn't sleep..." I trailed off, not used to Emmett being so silent.

"Same."

Well, this was awkward.

"Look, I'm sorry about what happened earlier and how it all went down, I might've been more harsh than I should have, I just have been going through a lot recently and I just snapped."

He started forward, coffee long forgotten as he set it on the counter.

"You aren't the one who needs to apologize. I realize how that must have looked walking into it, but I was wanting to tell you the story of how I knew Rafael before you guys went on your date and he twisted things in his favor, but I should've handled things differently too."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I knew he must have been angry with Rafael because of how he had gone hime with his ex all those years ago, but I wondered why it was still so ingrained in him to be so full of rage.

"So, that wasn't the whole story is what you're saying then?"

He sighed, a hand in his hair and the other bracing himself against the counter behind him. I was close to him, but not close enough to see his eye color through the moonlight. The lights were off and it gave the room an intimate and guarded feel, almost like we could tell each other our deepest secrets and it wouldn't be real because we couldn't see each other fully.

"If you're having to ask then I know for sure he didn't tell you the full story. I can tell you what really happened, if you want to hear it and not be in denial, that is."