Chapter Seventeen (Part 2)

Her body was thin and fragile, even skinnier than she was in that picture that she'd posted just a few weeks ago and I was desperate to get her healthy, to make her eat even if it was made by me- a terrible cook, a fact which she would never let m...

Her body was thin and fragile, even skinnier than she was in that picture that she'd posted just a few weeks ago and I was desperate to get her healthy, to make her eat even if it was made by me- a terrible cook, a fact which she would never let me forget.

The doctor sent over a heart healthy diet plan for her to stick to and she wasn't resistant to that at all. The one thing she was resistant to, however, was the restrictions on her physical activity.

She wanted out of the apartment, and she wanted to go for a run, even on the very first day that I brought her home.

"I don't see what a little fresh air would hurt," she'd said and I rolled my eyes and pulled her to the bedroom back to the bed where she needed to stay most of the day.

"Why don't you just focus on your schoolwork. What's going on with this case? Tell me about it."

"I've already done a quick overview. It looks like he was murdered in cold blood, but the only suspect that they have has an alibi for the night in question. The prosecution is planning on ripping apart his alibi but it seems ironclad to me. I don't know why they're pursuing my professor's client anyway, when it's clear there's no motive."

As she rattled off the details of her work, I felt pride shine within me. This was something that she was meant to do, and I was so glad that she'd finally given up her drug of choice for something healthy.

I didn't know what I would have done if she had told me that she couldn't give up her vigilante ways...I probably would've tied her down to the bed and kept her from going out and putting her in danger, although she probably would have liked that given her preferences in the bedroom, something we'd spoken about at length considering we couldn't actually act on our desires.

Once her doctor cleared her to leave the house, the first place I took her, after grabbing takeout from her favorite restaurant, of course, I'd taken her to my favorite place in the city.

I set up a picnic in the park and we huddled together in a thick, fluffy blanket in front of a small pond and watched as ice grew along the foliage gathered by the bank, everything frosted with a touch of cold but still dipped in honey golden sunshine that peaked across the horizon behind us.

Her hand skimmed mine and my heartbeat raced as I took her in with my eyes. I didn't know how I'd gotten so lucky- to have someone all to myself and yet so perfectly fit for me in every way.

She was stubborn and passionate and caring and so kind, she was the warmth to my cold, like the sunshine melting the frost on the grass below us.

She had melted my icy core with her love, and I was more than okay with that side of me being forgotten forever, so long as I had her.

All too soon, our perfect day was over when my heart fell into my stomach. We had just stood up to gather our trash from our impromptu picnic and she hissed out in harsh pain.