Chapter Thirty-Six

It was so damn hard to tear my eyes away from the gorgeous girl sitting beside me in the car, but I knew I had to for the sake of the other people in the car, unless they wanted to be in a car accident because of my obvious staring problem

Lydia was dressed similarly to how she had been dressed the previous weekend, except something was different this time.

This time, I knew how her curves felt underneath her clothes, I knew the taste of her lips and the fireworks from her kiss.

I knew that I wanted to be with her, emotionally and physically, the desperation reeking from me as if I were a teenaged boy infatuated with his best friend's sister.

And maybe I was, aside from the teenaged part. She was my best friend's sister, and she'd been put through so much in her life, that much was glaringly obvious.

But so had I, although she didn't know it yet. Perhaps we were two halves of the same fucked up whole, two broken souls destined to join together when we least expected it.

I was on the verge of breaking through a football career with the NFL and she was accepted to Harvard. We had no idea what was waiting for us in the rest of our futures, but one thing was certain when it came to Lydia- I wanted her to be in my future. I didn't care in what shape or capacity, as long as she was in it.

I'd give her all the time she needed, we could just be friends or even acquaintances. We could be friends with benefits, I would even settle for being her 'fuck buddy' but I couldn't handle her never being around me.

We were going to be in the same city if she chose to pursue her Harvard dreams and I got to live out my own with the Patriots, it was almost like it was meant to be.

"Emmett, what are you doing? That was the exit right there."

I swore under my breath and made the quick turnaround and soon we were parking in front of the club, my thoughts neatly tucked away in the back of my mind so that I would be in perfect focus and able to protect Lydia from what I knew was to come.

"Okay, so let's go inside together. I'll order some drinks at the bar while you find Rafael. I'll bring Amalia with me."

"O-kaaaaay. I wanna formally meet this hottie, though. I know I caught a glance the other weekend but if you're dating him then I need to really grill him, you know?"

I laughed with Amalia before setting my eyes on Lydia. She wasn't even nervous, a grim determination set in her features.

She was a damn goddess, and while I wished I could make her all mine, I knew that she was her own person and she would never allow a man to call her 'mine'. I just hoped she would lend me her love, even for a moment, so I could bask and revel in it and lose myself in all that was her. I'd gladly give myself to her for just a moment of her time.