Chapter Thirty-Seven

Lydia texted me and told me that Rafael was finally going to the bathroom so I downed the rest of my drink that was sitting next to me on the sticky wooden bar and wiped my hands on my jeans

My hands were slick with sweat. I was nervous, of course I was nervous. This guy had taken almost everything away from me. If it hadn't been for Marnie though...

I cared about her, that was for sure. Which was why I had respected her wishes and not filed a police report against him on her behalf.

It was finally time for him to pay for what he'd done, though.

I blocked out the laughter and excited screaming from the drunk twenty-one year olds and the pounding of club music in the background. I spotted Rafael, and I needed to corner him. Walk in the bathroom while his fly was down so he couldn't get away so easily.

I set my phone to record and placed it gently in my front jeans pocket with the speaker facing out so it would catch the audio quality better.

Then I took it out, double checked that the battery wasn't close to dying and made sure for a second, third, and fourth time that it was really recording.

Then once that bathroom door swung closed, I made my move.

The bathroom was much quieter as the sounds from the lively bar were muffled by the white concrete walls surrounding the small room.

There were piss stains on the floor and walls beside the urinals, but that was to be expected from a men's room.

I'd seen worse.

Rafael didn't look up as I entered, which was usually customary.

"Rafael. I know what you did."

He looked up then, and when his eyes met mine, he didn't flinch. His face was a mask of anger and outright resentment for me, but I didn't let it bother me. He could hate me all he wanted, I was doing this for Marnie, and for Lydia.

"Oh, you caught me. I'm using that little roommate of yours to get back at you, wow. Shocker there. She really is more naive than I gave her credit for though. I thought for sure you would have told her all kinds of horror stories about me to keep me out of her life for good, but you screwed that up somehow too."

He finished peeing and zipped up his pants.

"That wasn't what I was referring to. I know what you did to Marnie you sick son of a bitch. Just admit it. Admit that you drugged her and you raped her!"

"I raped her? Is that what she said? I may have given her a little courage in the form of some happy pills in her drink but trust me, she was moaning my name all night long-"

I punched him.

I lost it, and I punched him.

My knuckles were the first thing to resister in my mind, the pain from them stemming out into my wrist.