Chapter Thirty-Three (Part 2)

"Your injuries were superficial, we just had you in an induced coma in order to

"Your injuries were superficial, we just had you in an induced coma in order to. assess if you'd sustained any brain damage, but from the looks of your scans, you're good as can be expected. You'll be released this afternoon."

Thank god.

I had been stuck in the stuffy hospital room for a day and a half, and while I was unconscious for most of that time, I was still driving myself insane with needing to get out.

Reed, Lucas, and Lydia's parents had all come to visit, and Amalia had even FaceTimed to make sure I was healing up okay.

The police came by and took my statement, and when I told Lydia who had hurt me, she sighed in relief, but then panic overtook her features once more. I didn't get a chance to talk to her about it in great detail, though, because we were never alone with constant doctors, nurses, and policemen, not to mention officials from my team coming to assess my condition to make sure I'd be in good shape to start football camp the next month.

Lydia had been amazing- holding my water up to my mouth with a straw, doting on me hand and foot, and even though she didn't have to do all of those things, the fact that she cared enough to do so warmed my heart more towards her, if that was even possible.

I'd been ring shopping a few days prior, but I hadn't pulled the trigger on it yet, but the minute Lydia left to go and speak to her school I called the sales associate at the store and set up a time for my manager's assistant to go and pick it up.

I was done waiting.

She was the love of my love, and I never imagined our lives becoming any less complicated than they were in that moment, but that didn't change the fact that I wanted to marry her, more than I had wanted to join the NFL, more than I had wanted to exceed my 'parents' expectations of what I had become...

The harsh fluorescent lights twitched and flickered as my nurse, Jane, came in to take my blood pressure and temperature.

"Can you ask my girlfriend if she can come back inside?"

Her brown eyebrows pulled together on her forehead, the nurse's confusion echoing across her dark features.

"Your girlfriend, Lydia? She actually just left, and in quite a hurry, too."

"What? Did she say where she was going," I asked, wondering if maybe she'd escaped to go and take a test that she was late for. I didn't jump to the worst conclusion, I couldn't do that. Not yet.

"No, but she looked pretty upset, I think I saw her crying. I thought you two had had a fight, actually," she responded, concern etched onto her face as she had come to know me in the short time I'd been under her care.

"Thanks for letting me know," I told her as I reached for my phone on the swiveling side table by the hospital bed, the IV cords still dangling from my elbow and getting caught in different wires.