GIVE & TAKE

Jamison

When Keagan came back to me he wasn't mad, upset, or anything like that. It was strange how much his personality somewhat changed within the past few weeks. If this had happened 2 months ago? Forget it. Keagan would have blown up at me and probably went over to Russ to re-beat him. Well maybe not anything that drastic but something close to it.

It proved to me that he cared though. And that's part of the reason why I decided that I did need to be the one to talk to Russ. I couldn't go there because I missed enough school already; which was my own fault for dragging Keagan out to see his 'dad.' So it was going to be even harder to talk to Russ because of that. But at least I'd get to stay here with my boyfriend and wouldn't have to endure a fight or anything like that. He'd know exactly what happened and what was said, and who knows he could even put his two cents in if he really wanted to.

Keagan put his gym bag down and wrapped his arms around me.

I sighed happily and rested my chin on his forearm.

"I shouldn't ask. Because I already know. But have you made a decision yet?"

I nodded against his skin and kissed his wrist.

My heart jumped when I noticed I made the little hairs on his arms stick up.

Who knew an involuntary body action could be so... meaningful.

"I'm going to talk to him. Via facetime most likely. I can't go back home. So that's a good thing right? I don't have to leave you."

Keagan released me and patted my shoulder.

"I respect your choice, obviously. But you know my stance. I don't think it's worth it, to get involved. But you have to do what you think is right," he said as he let me go. "I'm gonna take a shower. If you wanna do it now, that would work. I don't know if I'll be able to listen to him make excuses and whine and whatnot. No offense. So just let me know what your plans are so I can make arrangements."

Of course he would leave when it happened. But I couldn't be mad. It was actually a really mature thing to do. Normally he'd love this shit and use it to get under Russ' skin.

My baby has matured.

Hopefully not too much. I like the sarcastic and somewhat narcisistic boy that I once knew. I know he's still there. But he's turning soft all because of me. Maybe one day he'll make fun of me for being a dork and all will be right in the world.

But for now I had to accept his choice just like he had accepted mine. Because that's what being in a serious relationship is all about. Give and take.

"Get your cute butt in the shower while I go ahead and make the call. But next time I'm joining you. Understand?"

I bit my lip and pushed him playfully.

His eyes lit up and he smirked.

"Ooh snippy and demanding. I like it," he said and turned his back to walk away. "I'll hold you to that," he mumbled as he headed towards the bathroom.

I shook my head and laughed a little before I situated myself on my bed.

The fun and games had to come to an end.